12215: United States largess per Ambassador Lino Gutierrez (fwd)

From: Paul Miller <psmiller@twincities.infi.net>

"Haiti is one of the largest beneficiaries of U.S. aid in the world.
Overall, U.S. humanitarian assistance for the past four years totaled almost
$300 million.  I repeat -- $300 million." - Ambassador Lino Gutierrez

Mr. Ambassador, let's do the math:

The 2001 population estimate for Haiti listed in Time Almanac 2002 is
roughly 7 million.  300 million in aid is $42.86 per person. So over 4 years
we have given each Haitian $10.72 per year.  I repeat -- $10.72 per person
per year.

The defense budget for the United States for 2003 is roughly 380 billion.
That's $722,983.18 per minute. I repeat -- per minute.

Haiti has gotten the equivalent of 25 seconds of the 2003 defense budget
(over 4 years).  Keep in mind, Israel, with 6 million people, gets between 2
and 4 billion per year -- I repeat, oh, you get the picture.

Mr. Ambassador, in conclusion, your remarks do truly show the largess of the
United States government. Yes indeed, what a friend we have been to Haiti.

Paul W. Miller