12259: Re: 12242: Re: 12223: reparations (fwd)

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

<<  I think those who are working on reparations should focus on
 some essential problems of Haiti:  Transportation, housing, technology,
 education. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Kathy Dorce Responded:
Here I disagree.  Let us assume that the money is given to the legal
government of Haiti for just the purposes you outline above.  With election
coming, it is in the best interests of the GOH to make as many improvements
as possible so that they can carry some credibility into the next term of
office.  IF they put the money into their pockets they should be prosecuted
to the full extent of the law (I agree it can't be spread around to just
ANYONE connected to the government but instead, controlled at the highest
level).  But to let foreigners come in and decide how to spend the money OWED
to Haiti is more paternalistic arrogance.  No thank you.  Let Haiti help
Haiti.  Trust that it will be done in Haiti's best interests, don't expect
the worst from Haitians.  It's so cliché. >>
#################################
I am not expecting the worst.  We have to deal with reality.  You defend the
current Government's right to see cash so that they can work in preparation
for the next election???  Like the Seguin and Boutilier road that Preval
inaugurated just before the last elections that are pedestrian paths again
already?  My proposition is to make the reparation non-political (in terms of
parties involved on the Haitian side).  It is not a matter of letting
foreigners come in and decide.  Who says the current government won't spend
it on hiring 2 thousand foreign security guards for example.  I say the
Haitian government makes an agreement with the French government to provide
certain services for an extended period of time, with some detailed
agreements about how many jobs will be created for Haitians, and on the job
training for thousands of people.....  No one will ever accept to pay cash to
us, get real.  They don't trust us.  They never will.  We do need to make
them accept that they owe something to the Haitian people but they owe
nothing to a specific government.  So if you want to go for reparations to
Aristide, no one will bite.  Sorry.