12267: INS keeping senator waiting on Haitians

From: JOSE PEREZ <miamitimesperez@hotmail.com>

INS keeping senator waiting on Haitians

The Miami Times - 04 JUN 02

As the ground swell of support for over two hundred Haitian political
refugees being arbitarily detained by the federal government grows, so does
the pressure on INS to end is current anti-Haitian practices.  One
increasingly aggressive advocate for fairness is United States Senator Bill
Nelson.

Nelson has sent numerous letters and other communiques to INS Commissioner
Jim Ziglar expressing concern about the situation in Miami involving the
refugees, specifically that the refugees are not being afforded equal
opportunities for asylum.  Specifically, Nelson expressed concern regarding
“the issue of access to legal help.”  The senator cited documentation
(including depositions from detainees) provided by immigration attorney
Cheryl Little in outlining his concern.

Nelson’s communications director Dan McLaughlin said that their office had
not been notified  of any specific plans by Ziglar to visit either the Krome
Detention Center or any of the other facilities where the Haitian refugees
are being incarcerated.  “Our goal was to get him down there [Krome et al]
so he can see first hand” what the situation is really like for the
Haitians.

“We think is important for the Commissioner to see what is going on.”

Unconfirmed reports to The Miami Times indicated that Ziglar will visit
Miami either today or Wednesday.
McLaughlin told The Miami Times that Nelson himself plans to visit the
facilities very soon.  Nelson is hoping to coordinate a visit with Senator
Bob Graham but McLaughlin indicated that a visit of some sort was paramount
to him.  He added that Nelson wants to “achieve a favorable solution” for
the current situation.

In addressing contacts with Congresswoman Carrie Meek and Little, McLaughin
said “I think the goal of everyone is fair application” of the rules,
policies, and laws of the government.  He added that “until such change is
made, obstacles [to legal process] have to be removed.”

José Pérez
Writer / Photographer
MIAMI TIMES
305 694 6216