12303: Re: 12300: Open Discussion (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

Alfred,

I wish you were right. As a matter of fact, I doubt it very much that these
negotiations will bring about any positive changes.

On the other hand, if I were Aristide, I would not, I re-write NOT hire Marc
Bazin (or try to) as a Prime Minister.

If I were Bazin, I would NOT accept the Prime Minister's job if offered to
me. My reasoning results from those facts and observations:

 -Haiti needs a viable, non-confrontational opposition;
 -The Convergence has already signaled once again, that they are not
interested in negotiations. What they really want is Aristide's head;
 -Manigat, the "ego of all Haitian egoes", only wants to be prezidan, one way
or the other. He would not as such participate in any government which he
does not completely rule over.

On the other side:
Bazin, time and time again, has proven through his actions, that he is a
Haitian politician mostly interested in advancing the process, rather than
being a plain obstructionist. He has a political party (MIDH). Once these
latest rounds of negotiations fail (which is highly likely and once again,
because of the Convergence's obstructionist attitude), Bazin should perhaps
resign from his post, reorganize his party, and try to send viable and
nonobstructionist candidates like himself, to participate in the November
2002 elections in Haiti.

I will write this one more time. The Convergence as an opposition group is
nothing but a group of failed obstructionist politicians who do not care not
even a little about Haiti. All they care about is Aristide's head. Hatred is
their ideology, not the well-being of the Haitian people.

And again Alfred, forget about Manigat. The best advice that anyone should
give him is to keep writing books, and continue on with his wonderful career
as an academic. The guy is not tailored to run a country. Worse, he only
wants to be prezidan, one way or the other. That makes him not a viable
alternative for Haiti.

My best to you, Alfred,
Hyppolite Pierre
IRSP