12336: Re: 12336: Re: 12333: Statues to honor Haitian soldiers (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

While I agree with professor Max Manigat's basic premise that the African
soldiers who fought at Savannah were not soldiers of the Republic of Haiti.
I vehemently disagree with the term «French Volunteers of Saint-Domingue»
that he is proposing to describe these Africans.

As far as I know, the proper name for the island currently shared by the
Dominican Republic and the Republic of Haiti, was and is «AYITI». A land
rightfully owned by an Arawak people who called themselves Tainos.
So if anything they could have called these Africans. Africans of Ayiti.

The fact that some thieves landed on the island, called it whatever their
fantaisies inspired them and established white supremacy on the land does
not mean, normal people must accept this as a matter of fact. Indeed, the
Africans brought to Ayiti as enslaved human beings decided to fight this
barbaric system with all their might and when they were sure to have
eliminated the murderous squatters from the land of their (by then
genocided) Tainos brothers, they officially adopted for their new home the
name given to it by the former rightful gardians: AYITI. (although, I am now
aware of another theory which purpots that Ayiti's name has a different
African root: Ayiti Tome = Our land to preserve and cherish...??? - I hope
to learn more about this theory. But in any case the Africans having worked
this land with their sweat and blood and having maintained good relations
with the few surviving Tainos decendants were in their right to claim that
land for themselves - If I do say so myself :0)   without asking permission
of the Queens of France, England and Spain.

Nonetheless, if like brother Malcom said, the fact that a cat gives birth in
an oven does not make biskets of its kittens, the soldiers that went to
Savannah via Ayiti were born Africans, lived as Africans, died and were
buried as Africans - away from the motherland from which they were stolen.

These Africans were no more french than a Haitian who has now adopted
Canadian citizenship is a BRISTISH subject or really gives a hoot about the
Queen of England and her parasitic entourage.

An African who crosses the Atlantic remains an African and, indeed, in 2002
New York cab drivers still won't stop to pick up Danny Glover, the
«American» Star. That's why Wicleff being fully aware that «Masquerade is a
game we are all forced to play» he keeps his flag of Ayiti close at hand
everywhere and at all times. Otherwise, he'd be notin' but a foolish MVP?

Sorry for the verbosity folks but sometimes history really bites and gets me
excited!

Jafrikayiti
«Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!»
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/