12358: RE: 12328: Fatima (fwd)

From: Karen F. Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

	 My understanding is that The place Fatima, from which derives the
name of the "Catholic" apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, was originally
named after the daughter of a Muslim (Moorish) ruler in Spain, whose
daughter was named Fatima, in the Islamic tradition. This is how a name in
the Arab/Islamic tradition comes to be "European" and "Christian." (similar
to the history of the name and meaning of "Guadelupe"  (Islamic to Spanish
to Mexican)

	Karen F. Dimanche Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221 USA
Telephone: 313-927-1352
email: kdavis@marygrove.edu