12356: On Bank Cooperatives: Slavin (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

I've been debating raising this point, but here goes:

Has anyone else thought that the CIA may have a role in the bank
cooperatives scandal? I think it's giving the agency way too much credit
for practical creativity, but organizing a nationwide pyramid scheme to
discredit the Aristide Presidency, and indeed, potentially creating
dangerous unrest against the government, it has the making of a neo-liberal
covert action. I know  Aristide is on record for encouraging citizens to
bank at the co-ops, but still...

I'd like to point out how serious a crisis this is.  How many of you know
people who have lost their life savings? Jacmel has been particularly hard
hit, but these cooperatives are/were islandwide.

Patrick

http://www.unicefusa.org