12414: Health Volunteers Overseas (fwd)

From: Matt Ray <mray@novell.com>

FIELD REPORTS from the Volunteer Connection
PHYSICAL THERAPY OVERSEAS, PORT AU PRINCE, HAITI
Carol Wick, PT, OTR/L
	The Republic of Haiti occupies the western third of the island
of Hispaniola, the Dominican Republic occupying the other two thirds.
Economically, Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and
among the 30 poorest countries in the world. Haiti is faced with the
same health problems as any Caribbean nation, complicated by the high
incidence of HIV, the influence of voodoo in healing the sick and the
endemic undernourishment of a large segment of the population.
Volunteers to the PTO Haiti program work to improve the delivery of
rehabilitation services in Haiti in partnership the Healing Hands for
Haiti Foundation (HHHF).  Goal of the program include the development of
a six-month curriculum and the implementation of a training program for
Rehabilitation Health Workers in conjunction with the HHHF.
	I spent the month of January 2002 with the HVO/PTO at the
Healing Hands for Haiti Foundation (HHHF) clinic and guesthouse in Port
au Prince, Haiti.   Prior to the trip, I received substantial
information from HVO and the previous therapist.  I also received a copy
of the curriculum from HHHF.   I taught anatomy/physiology as well as
basic rehabilitation procedures to 20-25 (attendance varied) Haitian
students.  This was mainly a classroom experience, however I also
consulted with previously trained rehabilitation technicians both at the
HHHF clinic and other sites in the treatment of various patients.  The
main caseload consisted of children with neurological concerns.   There
are no PTs or OTs in Haiti with the exception of foreign-trained
therapists who seemed to be there on a volunteer basis.   I shared the
volunteer time with a good friend, Sue Carney, PT, who specializes in
the treatment of children.
	The students are very friendly and work well together.   They
are passionate and caring and most are already involved in patient care.
  The experience of the class produced several treatment-related
questions.
	The classroom is bright and well ventilated, but crowded with
over 20 students plus a translator and instructors.  The students need
to be reminded to take breaks.  There are anatomy posters, a large dry
erase board and, especially appreciated, a full skeleton, the students
named "Annabelle."   The basic teaching language is French, however
Creole is the language of use, and often the translator needed to
explain in both languages for clarity.   Come prepared either to speak
the language or with both French and Creole dictionaries.   I found
"French in 10 Minutes a Day" and "Creole Made Easy" very helpful for
quick reference.   Translators were provided by HHHF and a few of the
students spoke English and helped their classmates.   It is very
important to speak slowly (not my forte!), repeat and use many visual
cues.   The class loved examples and "action."
	The clinic area is small and has basic supplies and equipment.
It seemed the storeroom has many "donated" supplies that are not being
used.   An inventory was advised so that use of the supplies could be
included in both treatment and classroom recommendations.   There are
three Haitian physicians (ortho) who volunteer part-time and are
available for case consultation.  It was very difficult to use the
clinic for student lab practice when visiting medical teams were there,
even though everyone is very helpful and supportive.
	The program is new and the curriculum development is still in
progress.  There is a good outline, which allows flexibility, making the
experience of teaching fun and innovative.  A core text and handouts in
French/English will expedite the learning process in the future.  We had
copies made (be sure to give the office two days notice) so the students
put together a "handbook" for future reference.
	The guesthouse facilities are comfortable and well located with
a grocery store, bank, two hotels and a cooperative art shop within
walking distance.  It is important to use caution on outings, going with
other staff and/or Haitian friends.  I never felt unsafe while I was
there.  Upon arrival we did register with the US Embassy.  The house
staff is wonderful and the food was Haitian and tasty.   Carol, the
house director, makes excellent coffee (and I am from Seattle!) and is a
very good and thoughtful cook.  I was sick for three days while I wasa
there and the staff took wonderful care of me.   I was so grateful!
There is a good sized, well maintained swimming pool (watch out for
falling mangos).  It was hot and humid, and for me, the pool was
practially an essential.  Gina Ferrus-Duncan and her wonderful husband,
Lucien Duncan, are caring hosts and took us into their hearts and home.
Gina is a most competent director and makes the program happen.
	I will always have a place in my heart for the wonderful, caring
people of Haiti.  The music, art, and culture are rich and warm, in
spite of the poverty and resultant concerns of the country.   I plan to
go over again.   It was much easier and more fun than I anticipated.  I
have a renewed respect for my profession (PT & OT), worldwide
volunteers, and my country.  It was wonderful to share cultures and to
make new and lasting friendships.  I "got" so much more than I "gave."
I can only add - GO!

For more information about Healing Hands for Haiti, visit their website
at http://www.healinghandsforhaiti.org.   For more information about
Health Volunteers Overseas, visit http://www.hvousa.org.

The Volunteer Connection is a publication of Health Volunteers
Overseas.