12421: 12418: Re: 12414: Health Volunteers Overseas (fwd)

From: Travis Smith <TKS@choate.com>

A response to the comments of VISHNUSURF@aol.com :

1) As for Ms. Wick's "remarkable ignorance", it seems unbelievable to me that anyone could deny that our culture impacts--both positively and negatively--on our interactions with our health care providers.  In my opinion, there are practices and beliefs associated with Vodou which do complicate the delivery of health care services to the people of Haiti. That said, I am also of the opinion that plenty of my own cultural and religous beliefs have similarly "complicating" effects on my interactions with my own health care providers.  While it is true that many Americans make ill-informed (and sometimes downright racist) judgments about Vodou and other aspects of Haitian culture, it is inappropriate to lump Ms. Wick in with them simply because of her comments in this HVO article.  Even a cursory reading of Paul Farmer's "Aids and Accusation" teaches that our culture impacts the way we interact with our health care system.

2)  As for the "underlying paternalism of [Ms. Wick's] efforts to serve the poor", I believe that a re-reading of Ms. Wick's comments is in order.  Ms. Wick's efforts to serve were participatory and egalitarian.  There is no evidence of arrogant or paternalistic attempts to impose.  Ms. Wick attempted to take the knowledge and skills she has been extremely fortunate to obtain and give them to health care workers in Haiti.  I can personally attest that the programs operated by the Healing Hands for Haiti Foundation (HHHF) are designed to empower the individuals who join our training programs. Our goal is to transfer the medical knowledge and skills available in the United States and Canada to Haiti; this is, in effect, a "reverse brain drain." We are Canadians, Americans and Haitians. Just as Paul Farmer's organization, Partners in Health (or Zanmi LaSante), operates on the fundamental principal of "pragmatic solidarity", we at HHHF see ourselves as working side by side with those we serve to improve the health care system in Haiti.  I understand the inclination to suspect that American aid-workers are paternalistic in their efforts to help in Haiti.  However, I would be happy to personally discuss the programs and activities of HHHF with anyone who suspects us guilty of "paternalism" in our efforts to help.  And, in all sincerity, I would be grateful for any insights anyone could give that would help us avoid falling into that trap.

3) "Helping requires first and foremost a true respect for and and understanding of those we seek to help." I could not agree with you more!

4) As for the suggestion that "it is [Ms. Wick's] attitude that needs adjusting", I could not disagree with you more! Ms. Wick's article demonstrates an attitude of genuine concern for the well-being of the people in Haiti. Her actions clearly provide an example of selfless service and sacrifice.  The simple fact is that she took took a leave from her profession and traveled to Haiti at her own expense in an effort to improve the lives of others.  Even as I write this, I chide myself to better follow her example and stop wasting my time on this email message.  I believe we would all do well to adopt Ms. Wick's attitude of service: let us talk less and do more about making a difference in Haiti.

Travis K. Smith
Chair, Board of Directors
Healing Hands for Haiti Foundation, Inc.
www.healinghandsforhaiti.org
tks@choate.com
tel: (617) 248-4916

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

Ms. Wick states that Haiti's health problems are "complicated by . . . "the
influence of voodoo in healing the sick . . . " This reflects remarkable
ignorance on her part of Haitian culture and the underlying paternalism of
her efforts to serve the poor.  In addition to "French in 10 Minutes a Day"
and "Creole Made Easy," I would suggest that HHHF volunteers also read MAMA
LOLA and AIDS AND ACCUSATION. This is not to question her or her
organization's intentions--it is only to advise us all that helping requires
first and foremost a true respect for and understanding of those we seek to
help. As Mambo Racine often reminds us, "Se Bon Ki Ra." Thus Ms. Wick's
efforts are to be applauded... it is her attitude that needs adjusting.

Confidentiality Statement:
This message is transmitted to you by a law firm.  This message is intended for the designated recipient(s) only.  This message may be confidential and legally privileged, along with any document, files, or previous e-mail messages that are attached.  If you are not a designated recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or use of the information in this message is prohibited.  If you believe this message has been sent to you by error, please destroy it, and please notify the sender by a reply e-mail or by calling 1-800-520-2427.  Thank you.