12445: Make the next OAS mission a success for Haiti: Convergence and Lavalas need to compromise (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Convergence and Lavalas need to compromise

In life one has to be realist, we shall refrain from
letting passion taken us away from the reality.  The
Haitians people are being penalized for something they
have no control over. An embargo was imposed over that
impoverished island from 1991 to 1994 to force the
return of the elected president. The gentleman was
elected for 5 years in the first free election and
actually the only free election the country had ever
organized. President Clinton was right in reinstating
him.
Today, the international community, France, EU and the
United States had set conditions that must be met in
order to release the funds (this is not a donation: it
is a loan that Haiti must repay) A compromise must be
reached with the Convergence.

Every body knows by now that the Convergence group has
no interest to go to any election, even you who have
been living in the U.S. for over 20 years can beat all
of them combine in any free and fair election I
believe they members of that group would like a share
of power, the Lavalas government shall find a way to
bring these folks along.
Folks you know the United States and the International
communities are not going to back down whether they
are right or wrong.
I understand your pain, I understand your frustration
and I do understand your anger but try to put aside
your emotion and see the big picture.
We have too much to lose for not compromising,  Haiti
is on the verge to celebrate its two hundred years of
independence, people are excited and energized, we
must seize that moment to build a momentum to develop
the country.
Over half millions of Haitians are living in the US
and a substantial amount in Canada, France and other
places in the world, Local tourist alone can bring
back the Haitian tourist industry. We need to find a
way to reduce the insecurity phenomenon and this
cannot be done without finding a political compromise.
I urge each of you to settle that crisis at any cost,
give the convergence what they want, bring them along.
Do like the US vice President Mr. Gore but the other
way. Frankly what the international community had
imposed on Haiti had departed from any democratic
norms but the leaders of Haiti have to deal with it.
Swallow that pill, organize yourselves, and bring back
the excitement that all Haitians had felt after the
fall of Mr. Jean Claude Duvalier, take advantage of
these two historical dates May 18, 2003 and January
1st 2004 that can generate billions in the country and
bring Haiti back to the international community.
We do not have the luxurious to talk about philosophy
or making sensational speeches, ask yourself this
question what do you want to accomplish at the end of
the day. It is truth that Haitians in the Diaspora
send home 800 millions dollars a year but this money
has nothing to do in helping the country in building
new roads, bridges and so on, we have people who send
money for their relatives and friends. What we need a
Diaspora that can invest, create job and opportunities
and buy Haitian made goods. All these can be done, I
want each and everyone to see the big picture, we
cannot afford to miss that golden opportunity. We need
a compromise. Many of you are friends with the
Convergence and the lavalas, please to talk to them.
Senou