12491: Haitian-American group celebrates anniversary, commitment to GOP (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, Jul. 08, 2002

Haitian-American group celebrates anniversary, commitment to GOP
BY SONJI JACOBS
sajacobs@herald.com

Lucy Orlando has a quick answer about why she eschews the Democratic Party
in favor of the GOP.

''The promise is always sweet,'' said Orlando, a Haitian-American political
activist. ``There's a lot of sugar in the promise.''

She just didn't see too much substance.

So Orlando helped create the Haitian American Republican Caucus last year, a
group dedicated to registering voters, supporting GOP candidates and helping
the Haitian-American community. The caucus celebrated its one-year
anniversary Sunday with a dinner reception at the Signature Grand in Davie.

More than 100 people attended the celebration, including several 2002
candidates who managed to do a little stumping in between speeches full of
patriotism and partisan pride.

''What the caucus has done as a group is extraordinary,'' said Alexander
''Sandy'' Halperin, a Weston city commissioner running for the District 97
seat in the Florida House of Representatives. ``They're going to be an
effective foundation for the issues they feel strongly about.''

The Haitian Americans at the celebratory dinner gave a range of reasons why
they decided to align themselves with the Republican Party and its leaders.

Ketty Mersilus, secretary of the Haitian American Republican Caucus in
Miami-Dade, said she supports Florida Gov. Jeb Bush because of his education
policies, which include testing and vouchers.

''For the first time, black people who don't have any money have a choice of
putting their children in private school,'' Mersilus said. ``We need reform
in education. The kids are failing. Something is wrong. I think having a
choice -- charter schools, other public schools, private schools -- really
helps.''

Jean-Daniel Desmornes, a Miami resident, said he sees only a ''fine line''
between the Democrats and the Republicans, but tends to prefer the GOP's
stance on economic issues. He said he's encouraged to see Haitian Americans
becoming more politically aware and active.

''It's a good thing the community is not only voting, but also organizing
itself,'' Desmornes said. ``We are still linked to Haiti, but we have chosen
to live in this country and be American.''

Many caucus members, however, say that immigration issues are still the most
important to them and the community.

Even Orlando, often unbridled in her support of the GOP -- ''The same way
I'm hot for God is the same way I'm hot for the Republican Party'' --
becomes more cautious when the topic is raised.

''My first concern is for the Haitian people not to be deported,'' Orlando
said, her powerful voice rising. ``I am not going to let that happen. Some
blame the whole thing on President Bush. He is not responsible for that, but
he could do something about it.''

Orlando, of Weston, said she's optimistic that the Republicans will embrace
the issue as their own and create real change -- something she chides the
Democrats for not doing.

She said she plans to help start Haitian American Republican Caucus chapters
in Tampa, Orlando, Fort Myers and Naples.

''I worked with Democrats for 28 years,'' Orlando said. ``Now, I am all over
the governor and the Republican Party. They have respect for me. I respect
them and will work for them.''