12491: Makandal announcements (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

If you are in New York at the end of the month, please join La Troupe
Makandal, with Master Drummer Frisner Augustin, on Wednesday, July 31, 7
pm, at Wave Hill, 675 West 252 Street, Bronx, NY.  The event--instruction
in Haitian traditional dance, then a performance with audience
participation--is free with admission to the grounds.  Admission to the
grounds is $4 for the general public, $2 for seniors and students.  You
can find trave directions at

www.wavehill.org/Visitor_Information/Directions/directions.html

(That's an underscore, not an error, between "Visitor" and
"Information.")

We would also like to announce that the company has won its first grants
from the National Endowment for the Arts.  One grant will enhance and
expand our own performance series.  The other will strengthen our program
of drum and dance classes for children in Brooklyn--and hopefully
leverage more support.

If you would like to be on our mailing list, please send your information
to the email above or below.

Finally, I'll be sending another announcement about our annual Bwa
Kayiman at Prospect Park in August.  It promises to be very special this
year.

Lois Wilcken, Ph.D.
La Troupe Makandal - New York City's Center for Haitian Drum and Dance
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org