12493: Re: 12492: Morse / Rumors (fwd)

From: John Kozyn <jckozyn@hotmail.com>

>For those of you who know Haiti, you'll know that rumors, true or not,
>play an important part in the socio/political fabric of the country.
><Where there's smoke, there's fire>. Yesterday (Tuesday) started off as
>normal, then as the sun went down and we were going about our <normal>
>evening activities, they started coming:

--> snippage <--

>5) The Iranians have set up an embassy here in Port-au-Prince.

>Five rumors in the span of two hours. Now that tells you something. What? I
>don't know.

Well, No 5 in Richard's list may not be a rumor, but Haiti and Iran did, in
fact, establish diplomatic relations last week - lots of coverage on
Tele-National, and an article in Le Nouvelliste also... (turn off CNN bro'
;)

Generally, when relations are established like this, representation is often
assured by a non-resident Ambassador staying in another country, but I'm not
sure in this case.

Haiti now has relations with more than 50 countries around the world while
it only maintains about 35 diplomatic/consular and special missions.

John Kozyn