12495: Just a thought on higher education in Haiti (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

Well, now that once again the negotiations have failed, we're perhaps coming
to the realization that the country has to move on. There is a legitimate
government in place, and they have the obligation to work towards the
betterment of the citizenry. Once again, some recent news clips made me
realize perhaps the seriousness of a situation in Haiti.

It was during the fury over Brazil's win, that I read that more than 150,000
students were trying to get their Certificate for primary school, or their
Junior or Senior High School degree through the official State exam.

Based on the report, many students thought that the exams (after the Brazil
win over Germany in the World Cup), were if not easy, at least at their
level. Imagine a worse case scenario where 40 percent of the say 40,000
students for Senior High School pass. That would mean 16,000 students who
would now be ready for university in Haiti. What then, a nightmare for
government! What then should government do?

As we need more qualified individuals to replace those who left or are
leaving the country, government needs to be more creative in its approach.
What if for instance, they decide to, just like at the Law School in
Port-au-Prince, have classes for students in the morning and in the evening?
Would that resolve the problem? Certainly not!!!

What if instead, they offer university courses on the web? They build some
facilities or use existing ones, where Haitian professors, at home and
abroad, design curricula that can be taught on the web?

The students then, if placed in a classroom atmosphere, would not
necessarily need teachers there with them. It would of course depend on the
courses and the program. Still, government could create the possibility for
thousands more students to get a college education at a much lower cost to
the State.

Already in the United States and some other countries, people get college
degrees right in the comfort of their home, thanks to the Internet. Could
government in Haiti use this kind of technique? Most certainly, I think. All
they would need is the organizational power, the discipline, and the help of
people experienced in the matter.

There are I am sure Haitians living abroad, and even friends of Haiti, who
have both the experience and the knowledge to do it. Many would probably do
it for free. As I am writing this, the first name that came to mind is Bob
Corbett himself, our host, who teaches entire courses on both Vodou and
Haiti from the web. He would probably be willing (I hope, crossing my
finger) to help government better do these sorts of things, by explaining
the process, what works and what doesn't.

There are also other Haitians who teach at university in the US, Canada, and
around the world who would be willing and able to help. They would just have
to get better data through their embassy as to which Haitian is who in their
espective community while living abroad.

The only other thing I would suggest from that trend of thoughts is this.
Government should also try, because the cost would be minimal as compared to
always having teachers in classrooms at all times, to have students go on
the field and experience what they are studying in theory. There could be
instances as well where teachers would have to meet with the students at
pre-determined time, so the face-to-face interaction can take place.

Students of law, agronomy, teaching (Ecole Normale Supérieure), would have
to go and experience theories on the field in the provinces, in law,
agriculture, etc. They would probably even get a much better education that
way.

This is just an idea that I as many others I am sure, could develop further.
Finding computers at reasonable rates would not be such a big problem. I
personally know an institution in the United States where non profit
organizations can buy refurbished computers at very reasonable rates. The
students could also pay the same fee as what the others pay now (virtually
nothing, considering what we pay here in the US).

Could the GOH try this? Should they? Just a question, and just a thought.

Hyppolite Pierre
IRSP
http://www.irsp.org