12581: In defense of the critics

I read Frantz Pierre's comments (criticism) of Senou's note of a few days
ago, and was disappointed at the either / or nature of the argument the
Frantz Pierre presents.

I went to Haiti first in 1983.  I was startled by the tremendous poverty
of the huge masses of people and wanted to do something to be of
assistance.  I wanted to plunge into the "arena" of which Frantz
Pierre speaks.  But, I didn't know what to do.  I didn't understand what I
was seeing, I didn't know the short-term and long-term causes, I didn't
know what political, social, econonic possiblities there where and which
might succeed and which might just be so much wishful thinking.

And so I sought out the scholars on Haiti -- the political analysts, the
social critics, those who could advise me on such topics as "why is Haiti
so poor?" "What things might be done?" "What will work and what not?" "Is
there really hope for Haiti?"  These and many many other questions.  I
believed strongly then, as I do know, that before I plunged into the noble
"arena" of which Frantz Pierre speaks, I needed to have understanding.

I also spoke and read the words of those deep into the bowels of the
arena to see what indeed they were doing.  At times I was impressed,
motivated, inspired at the self-less acts and dedication at the level of
heroism.  But often, too, I was puzzled.  From what I was reading of the
"mere" critics, as Pierre would have them, no small number of the
extremely well-motivated warriors in the arena of change, seemed to be
either making things worse, or not much mitigating the sitaution.  When I
tried to figure out that seeming paradox it became clear rather quickly:
often the warriors in the arena were ill prepared with careful critical
knowledge; didn't understand the situation nor the cures and were at best
spinning wheels in the sand, at worst, causing even more harm than they
had encountered before.

All the knowledge in the world without action in the arena of change will
get Haiti nowhere.  I agree with Franz Pierre on that.

But all the actions of sincerity and courage and effort in the arena will
not likely yield results unless that action is rooted deeply in critically
grounded good sense.

I personally tend to be a person who struggles both in the critical areas
of thought and criticism, yet also attempts now and again to enter into
the arena of social action.  At the same time I know dedicated workers in
the arena of change who seldom do any serious critical work, and I know
brilliant intellectuals of things Haitian who seldom if ever leave their
books and studies for the field of messy struggle.

I submit Haiti needs all sorts of those who tend her woes -- the critics,
the social activists, the funders, the good wishes, to participant, the
tolerant ones who just let change come and so many more.

It's not an either or.  If the critic speaks poor criticism, I would
argue, don't denouce the activity of criticism.  Critize the weak
criticism with stronger.  If the critic speaks with insight and helps us
identify problems and or solutions, thank the critic and use this
knowledge even if the critic never chooses to leave his or her protected
realm of criticism.

There are many tasks to be done. There's room for all women and men of
good will.  They don't even have to be Haitian.

I am one who celebrates our critics, and our activists, and our funders,
and all who are interested in any manner.  Some appear to me to
contribute more than others, yes.  But some of the most important
contributions to my own attempts to struggle in the Haitian arena are the
astude critics who point me to the ways I had not seen, who guide me away
from pitfalls I am not astute enough or learned enough to see.  Without
them I would be much worse off.

I am not always in agreement with Senou's views.  But I am most happy he
offers them for my consideration.  When I feel a disagreement with
something he says, I often learn something valuable for myself just by
sitting there in front of the computer and asking myself:  I can't accept
his view -- what is it precisely that bothers me?  And in that
clarification itself I grow.

I celebrate and thank the critics who offer their views to our forum.
Without them I think we would all be less informed and less rich in our
understanding of Haiti and how we might contribute were we to enter that
important arena which Franz Pierre indicates.

Bob Corbett