12598: NYTimes Letter to the Editor re Urban Poverty Feature (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/31/opinion/L31HAIT.html

July 31, 2002

A Land of Poverty, Rich in Resolve

To the Editor:

Re "8 Years After Invasion, Haiti Squalor Worsens" (front page, July 30):

Having just returned from a second trip to Haiti to work with a Christian
mission organization near Cap-Haïtien, Haiti's second largest city, I can
affirm as sadly accurate your description of the nearly unbelievable
poverty suffered by the Haitian people.

I can also affirm the power of the spirit of the people I have met there;
the effectiveness of the Haitian churches I have seen building hope through
education, nutrition and other partnerships with the people; and the many
Haitians who, after coming to the United States and successfully
establishing themselves here, return to Haiti year after year to make a
difference in the country of their birth.

They are teaching me more about the ways of faith and the kinship of all
humankind.

ROBERT W. GUFFEY JR.
Wilton, Conn., July 30, 2002

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company
http://www.unicefusa.org