12638: Re: 12593: Lavalas and US occupations; Simidor responds to Senou (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

Daniel Simidor writes:
<<<"Aristide's recent free-trade zone agreement with the Dominican Republic,
which basically hands over 10% of Haitian territory to the Dominican
government, is the latest in a series of scandals rocking the Lavalas
regime. Haiti's emerging status as a sub-colony of the Dominican Republic is
part of the new reality forced down Haiti's throat, under the guise of
"restoring democracy.">>>

I would agree with you, Daniel, in case you would be able to help those of
us answer these questions:

 -Does the legal framework that governs those free trade zones, essentially
decertifies the Haitian judicial system and the Haitian State, as the
necessary third-party with the right and obligations to resolve conflicts
between employers and employee in those "10 percent of Haitian territory"?

 -Which country will provide security (police, intelligence, etc) to the
free-trade zones? Haiti, or the Dominican Republic?

 -Which labor laws will be enforced in case of conflicts between employers
and employees? Haiti's labor laws, or those of the Dominican Republic?

I thought thus far, that free trade zones meant essentially that whoever
owns businesses in that region is free from paying taxes on revenue to the
State, in the country where they are operating. Could you, or anyone else on
this list for that matter, provide us with more details on the intricacies
of that deal? I (and I am sure other Corbetters) would really appreciate
your help here.

Hyppolite Pierre
IRSP
http://www.irsp.org