12655: US Ambassador to Bahamas on Haitian Aid (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

National News
Blankenship on Haitian aid, cultural influences

Released Wednesday, July 31, 2002 at 11:02 am EST by Tamara Mckenzie

By TAMARA McKENZIE

Guardian Staff Reporter

U.S. Ambassador J. Richard Blankenship told The Guardian Monday in an
exclusive interview that "non-governmental humanitarian assistance" offered
to Haiti over the past four years has totaled almost $300 million dollars.
However, he said, before the impoverished island can receive direct
"government to government" assistance, a number of conditions must be met.

"There are a number of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that are
currently supplying aid to Haiti in different ways. However, there are
several loans that are pending compliance with Haiti, depending on several
conditions. Until President Aristide (Jean-Bertrand) stands by those
conditions, those monies will not be available to him," said the ambassador.

In regards to non-governmental assistance, Mr. Blankenship said, last year
alone, US NGOs have given Haiti $73 million dollars for food, child
immunization, HIV, reproductive health, primary schools and agricultural
development. "There will also be around $100 million dollars spent in the
upcoming year, therefore direct aid to Haitian citizens has not ceased," he
said.

As illegal Haitian immigration is a major problem in The Bahamas, the U.S.
Ambassador, who spoke from his office at the United States Embassy over
lunch, explained that a number of recommendations have been discussed with
the Bahamas government on how to deal with the illegal problem.

He explained that there are times when Haitian vessels en route to The
Bahamas are intercepted by the United States Coast Guard, and in such
instances, the U.S. takes the responsibility of returning them to Haiti.

"In essence, we sometimes save the Bahamian government the cost of
interdicting some vessels before they land on Bahamian territory, which
would eventually happen at some point in time. Any vessel that we interdict
before it lands on Bahamian soil, is aided in some shape, form, or fashion
by the U.S government," said Mr. Blankenship.

The U.S. Ambassador further stated that he has also spoken with the
Department of Immigration about the possibility of assisting The Bahamas in
flying Haitian migrants from The Bahamas to Haiti, during the U.S
repatriation process.

"I think we provide a great deal of assistance already, and it's sometimes
invisible to the average person in Nassau, because it never becomes an
event," he said.

Mr Blankenship said that any changes that take place in Haiti must come from
within. He said Haitian citizens should have the desire to make a change,
but until the Haitian community decides that they want to make a change for
themselves, nothing will happen.

"They have to want change. They have to want President Aristide to deliver,
and he has to recognize the will of his people," said the U.S. Ambassador.

Ambassador Blankenship said the United States policy towards Haiti is based
upon several pillars, some of which include supporting its efforts to
strengthen democracy, while improving respect for human rights. He explained
that the U.S wants to make sure that humanitarian assistance is provided to
the most vulnerable Haitians and actively promote sustainable economic
development.

"We need to discourage illegal immigration, which threatens our own maritime
safety and the lives of those that are risked on those dangerous trips. Our
policy toward Haiti is also designed to stem the flow of illegal drugs,
which by rough estimates account for seven to ten per cent of all the
cocaine consumed in the United States," revealed Mr. Blankenship.

The U.S. Ambassador said that tackling the illegal immigration problem in
The Bahamas requires examining the root cause of the situation. He explained
that the immigration laws and repatriation efforts should be reviewed. He
also noted that illegal immigrants in The Bahamas are depriving Bahamians of
getting jobs because they are willing to work for a lower wage.

According to the U.S. envoy, the increasing number of documented Haitians in
The Bahamas could soon become a significant segment in society and change
the "cultural nature" of the country.

"We don't want The Bahamas to change its cultural identity, but if The
Bahamas has a population that is dominated by Haitians, it will become a
different society," said the U.S. Ambassador.

Meanwhile, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Fred Mitchell, during a recent trip
to Haiti on July 24, said the Haitian government has agreed to take steps to
curtail the flow of illegal migration from Haiti in the Bahamas, after talks
with Haiti's President, Jean Bertrand Aristide and its Foreign Minister
Joseph Antonio.

Copyright (c) 2001 by Nassau Guardian