12703: Re: 12699: Haiti and DR free trade zones; a belated reply to Hyppolite Pierre (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

> From: karioka9@cs.com
>
> Hyppolite Pierre writes (in 12638: Re: 12593: Lavalas and US occupations; Simidor responds to Senou):
>> I thought thus far, that free trade zones meant essentially that
> whoever owns businesses in that region is free from paying taxes on
> revenue to the State, in the country where they are operating.>>>

You essentially answered your own questions.  Fi de la transparence!

Daniel,
In all due respect, I don't see how I've answered my own question. I simply
stated what I believe to be the proper definition of a so-called "free
trade". Please correct me if I am wrong. It is "trade" because they practice
commerce there; and it is "free" because they don't have to pay taxes on
their revenue.

Thirld-world countries like Haiti, desperate to activate their labor force,
employ such taxation, or if you prefer non-taxation policy, as a way to
incite would-be investors to create jobs thus economic activities in their
country.

You and I may disagree with the modalities of that free-trade agreement,
especially the one where it was reported in Haiti-Progres, that about 80
percent of the arable land in the Ouanaminthe region had been given away for
building those free trade "factories".

Still Daniel, in all due respect, I don't get your answer. Could you please
explain further? You keep writing about "Aristide giving away 10 percent of
the country". If he did, to whom? To the Dominicans? To the "communistes de
salon" (living-room communists) eternal enemies, i.e. the blan Americain
(that is until they befriend Jesse Helms)? Please, explain to us. I am in
dire need to understand, and honestly, this is not a rethorical question.

Most of what you wrote in the end may be correct in terms of lack of
transparency in the deal, the bypassing of the legislative review process,
etc. Nevertheless, if we are going to accuse, we must be accurate and
truthful all the way.

So Daniel, my question was and still is, which State will administer those
"10 percent of the land" you keep referring to? The United States, the
Dominican Government, or the Haitian Government?

Best to you,
Hyppolite Pierre
IRSP
http://www.irsp.org