12712: RE: 12700: M. Herald on Cap Haitien 081302 (fwd)

From: Amy Wilentz <amywilentz@nyc.rr.com>

Seems to me it must be Nancy San Martin's first visit to the
hemisphere's poorest, etc... This report really has the ring of a
neophyte. But so much of the antiAristide stuff is being generated by
outsiders who are simply influenced by the people who get to them first.
Hard to believe this one got past the Herald's sophisticated editors.

Speaking of antiAristide propaganda -- and the old jalopy of a machine,
which has worked many times before, is in full swing, believe me, I
recognize the elements from some fifteen years ago -- I still think you
can know people by their sworn enemies, and I would propose that those
who hate and denounce Aristide are often those who've been responsible
(sometimes at a little distance, often not) for a good deal of the
country's current misery.

But I would like to add my voice once again to the long list of friends
of Haiti who want to know: Who killed Jean Dominique? Why was it done?
Why have the perpetrators not been brought to justice?

It remains an important question -- the last part especially -- and one
that will not go away with time, I trust.

Amy Wilentz