12709: hudicourt to pina (fwd)

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

I think you are not  referring to my main point at all.  I said that I think
the Bush administration should give the money to Aristide's government.  Why
not?  Right now keeping the money is accomplishing the opposite of what it is
really intended to do.  It gives the Haitian government a good pretext to say
"It's not our fault, the Americans are doing it."
My main point is that the Hatian institutions are extremely corrupted and
seem to not even intend to serve the population.  In fact, the people of
Haiti are just used and exploited by the government and its employees.  There
is a mental persecution perpetrated by the institutions against the
population: A person living in Haiti never knows what to expect from one day
to the next.  Let's take some examples.
1) Electricity:  For one month you have electricity from 10 p.m. to 4 am.
Why? to watch TV or do your ironing in the middle of the night?  To charge
your inverter if you were able to afford one ?  OK.  Let's say you at least
decide that you will get out of bed at 10 pm and iron your clothes.  Suddenly
for no apparent reason you don't get any electricity for 8 days (as it
happened in Jacquet 2 weeks ago).  I think that's persecution.  I think that
EDH should give each neighborhood a schedule and keep it the same until it
announces changes in schedule in advance via the airwaves.  That way people
could plan their life and know what to do from one day to the next.  It is
not a lack of money that keeps them from having schedules, it's lack of
respect for the people of the greater Port-au-Prince area.
2)  Transportation:  There are  a few of the big blue and white school buses
passing through Delmas.  There used to be more than a hundred big buses.
Where are they?  Most people travel in inhumane conditions in the back of bad
pick up trucks, breathing foul fumes, and sweating under metal or plastic
tops.  At peak travel hours, 6 to 10 am and 4 to 7 pm, many passengers are
stranded on the side of the road for hours waiting for a truck that will have
space.  If it rains, it's worse.  People deserve a decent state sponsored
public transportation system.  Previous Lavalas governments bought large
buses but did not maintain them.  When they break down it's for good.  That
is a misuse of taxpayers money and a lack of respect for people who must get
to work, home,  and school at a certain time.  In addition, the police and
officials create traffic jams and disobey all rules of law, safety and
courtesy when they want to get somewhere, further offending people who are
stuck on the road.
Now that's just 2 easy examples.  The possibility of continuing to tell you
how disrespectful the government of Haiti is of its own people is endless.
Tell me it's not the truth (or change the subject again).
By the way I am not a person who believes that all the problems of Haiti are
due to a character flaw in the Haitian culture.  I also do not believe that
Haiti will not be fixed.  I believe that the majority of Haitian people would
like order, hope, and respect.  The country just continues to be in the hands
of a group of corrupt and dishonest Haitians.  Most Haitians are respectful
and honest.
Also there is no such thing as Ou Kap.  The appropriate Creole spelling would
be "Okap".
PS: I am a Ms. not a Mr.