12791: Aristide Weaves Theme of Peace, Non-Violence and Reconciliatin (PRNewswire) (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Haiti's President Aristide Weaves Theme of Peace, Non-violence And
Reconciliation Through Speech Made at Historic City of Petit Goave

Strong Turnout Underscores Continuing Support for President Aristide

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Aug. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- In his first visit to historic
Petit Goave since his February 2001 inauguration, President Jean- Bertrand
Aristide delivered a speech, which was aired nationwide, touching on current
issues while weaving the themes of peace, non-violence, and resolution
throughout his address.

The occasion was the annual celebration of this Southern city's patron saint,
Notre-Dame de Lourdes, held every August 15th. The President also inaugurated
the renovation of Petit Goave's central park, donated computers for an
internet center at the local school, as well as two school buses which will
facilitate attendance for the children living in all 12 districts of the
Petit Goave region.

Despite its reputation as a stronghold of anti-government sentiment,
President Aristide was enthusiastically greeted by tens of thousands of
supporters from the Petit Goave area. President Aristide used the opportunity
to again make clear his position of compromise and resolution to the
two-year- old political crisis, which has resulted in an economic embargo
against Haiti. This economic embargo has prevented the implementation of
health, education and water access projects, sinking Haiti's people into
deepened misery.

Despite the numerous compromise packages offered by President Aristide and
his ruling party, Fanmi Lavalas, the Convergence, a coalition of minority
parties, has continued to stymie a peaceful resolution to the political
crisis -- instead calling for the overthrow of President Aristide, who was
democratically elected.

Alluding to a recent draft accord proposed by the Organization of American
States to resolve the political crisis, and to which the government of Haiti
and Fanmi Lavalas have agreed to in principle, President Aristide again urged
the Convergence to accept the terms of a negotiated settlement so the country
can move forward in unity and peace.

Adding to the countless times President Aristide has publicly opened his arms
to the Convergence, he said, "This is why, to you, my brothers and sisters
from the opposition, the doors to my heart will always remain open to greet
you and embrace you patriotically, and to invite you once again to walk side
by side so the celebration of our bicentennial (in 2004) can be great."

In the President's first remarks about the recent violence and attack on the
prison in Gonaives, he praised the police for responding in a professional
manner, "I give a special greeting to the police of Raboteau in Gonaives, who
developed an intelligent strategy to maintain peace without the loss of one
drop of blood."

Referring to the tragic massacre during the coup d'etat period in which the
military together with FRAPH, a paramilitary organization, slaughtered
Aristide supporters in the Raboteau neighborhood of Gonaives, the President
said, "As weapons were used before against people in Raboteau in a first
massacre, we couldn't tolerate a second massacre in Raboteau. That is why I
congratulate everybody in Raboteau, in Decaro, in Gonaives, in all the
Artibonite, who got together with the police so to prevent bloodshed in
Gonaives during the recent events."

To date, the police have recaptured ten prisoners and President Aristide
urged those who are still at large to turn themselves over to the authorities
"so they will not remain as outlaws and so that the people living in the city
can live in serenity and peace." The President stated that the only path to
the future for a peaceful Haiti is through the rule of law.

While recounting the history of Petit Goave, which in 1867 was the home to
Emperor Faustin Soulouque and served as the capital when the island was one
nation called Saint-Dominque, the President extended his condolences to
victims of violence in Petit Goave. "Let's take the flower of love, the
flower of peace to put on the tomb in memory of Faustin the First, while at
the same time, we think about the many sons and daughters of Petit-Goave who
died."

The President mentioned Ceus Duverger, who was gravely injured when
opposition members attacked him with a machete in December 2001 as well as
Brignol Lindor who was subsequently killed in retaliation. Eight people are
currently detained for alleged involvement in these attacks. President
Aristide also mentioned Roseline Vaval, a young schoolgirl killed by the
military under General Avril's rule in the 80s. Contrasting the tragedy of
violence, President Aristide urged all of Haiti's citizens, young and old, to
"walk together towards a better Haiti in peace and solidarity," as the nation
approaches its 200th anniversary of independence.

In addition to the government-works celebrated, the President announced plans
for projects in agriculture, health, infrastructure and communications. This
school year Petit Goave will see an increase in the number of children
receiving a hot meal at school with the opening of eight new schools.

The President pointed out how difficult it has been to develop the country
while an unjust economic embargo has left Haiti without much needed
assistance in grants and loans. President Aristide pointed out that, "If it
was not for the economic blockade, the economic embargo, we would have done a
lot more than that. What we did is nothing compared to what we shall do
later. If there was not an economic embargo we would have spent a thousand
times more than we did."

Citing the work performed in Petit Goave and other completed projects and
services throughout the country, the President stated, "We worked hard. We
fought corruption. We used the state's money intelligently so that, although
this is not a big project, we did what we could. And this is what we are
going to continue to do with pride and dignity in Petit-Goave, Grand-Goave,
Miragoane and in other departments, so that the country will be more
beautiful. Dear fellow citizens, I solemnly invite you all today to take each
other's hands so that peace may reign in the country."

Especially proud of recent achievements in a national literacy campaign,
President Aristide announced that so far 11,841 people in Petit Goave alone
have graduated from literacy classes and that there are now 36 community
restaurants, which serve as literacy centers.

Global Market Solutions is a marketing communications firm that provides
services to government and corporate clients worldwide. GMS is also a
registered foreign agent for the Government of Haiti.

MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT -  Click Here

http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X33424602

SOURCE  Global Market Solutions

CO:  Global Market Solutions