12836: Cherilus chooses Eagles over Iowa - Boston Globe (fwd)

From: Stanley  Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

Cherilus chooses Eagles over Iowa
By Michael Vega, Globe Staff, 8/20/2002

ong known for producing NFL offensive linemen, Boston College bolstered its ranks yesterday when Gosder Cherilus, a 6-foot-7-inch, 280-pounder from Somerville High School verbally committed to play for the Eagles next season.

''They have a great tradition of offensive linemen,'' said Cherilus, who chose BC over Iowa after sifting through several Division 1-A scholarship offers. ''It would be a great dream for me to make it to the next level, and that's why BC's my choice, because I think they can help me make it where I want to make it.''

A native of Haiti who grew up playing soccer and basketball in his home country, Cherilus picked up football only two years ago and worked himself into ''the most heavily recruited player in school history,'' according to Joe Curtatone, his offensive line coach at Somerville.

Cherilus, a SuperPrep preseason All-American, also was recruited by Miami, Syracuse, Colorado, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Iowa. He becomes the third prospect to commit to BC early, joining 6-2, 190-pound safety Ryan Glasper of Southington, Conn., and 6-5, 240-pound tight end Trey Kozil of Hinsdale, Ill.

''Everyone who'd seen him offered him right on the spot because he's an athletic offensive lineman,'' said Curtatone. ''He's one of the top 50 players in the country and he's got an incredible blend of size and speed. He's intelligent and he's very focused. I think he'll fit in well at BC.''

This story ran on page E3 of the Boston Globe on 8/20/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.