12845: Some Guacimal detainees released - HSG press release, 22 August (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Seven of the nine people illegally detained without charge since the Batay
Ouvriye union rally on 27 May have been released - Haiti Support Group press
release, 22 August 2002

The Haiti Support Group is pleased to report that, on 20 August, seven of the
nine people, held since being detained on 27 May, have been released from
jails in Port-au-Prince. The releases came the day after a three-hour sit-in
at the Ministry of Justice organised by Batay Ouvriye, the National Coalition
for Haitian Rights (NCHR), and the Platform of Haitian Human Rights
Organisations (POHDH).

The Haiti Support Group salutes the determination of Batay Ouvriye to get
their six comrades and three transport workers out of prison. We applaud too
the mobilisation involving the NCHR, the POHDH, and the Platform to Advocate
for an Alternative Development (PAPDA), amongst others.

The Haiti Support Group also applauds the solidarity with illegally
imprisoned union members shown by a large number of international unions and
union federations. We thank too the hundreds of individuals in the UK and
other countries who signed the petition calling for the nine detainees to be
released.

However, we cannot relax while two Batay Ouvriye members remain behind bars.

URBAIN GARCON AND JEREMIE DORVIL HAVE NOT BEEN CHARGED WITH ANY OFFENCE - IT
IS A SCANDAL THAT THEY ARE STILL IN PRISON.

Release ALL the Guacimal prisoners NOW!

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

<A HREF="www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org">SEE THE HAITI SUPPORT GROUP WEB SITE</A>

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.