12872: Re: 12825: elections (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

> From: Kimberly De Wind <miss_dewind@hotmail.com>

> [Dorce...followed by] "If you were honest with yourself, you would admit
> that Aristide is the people's choice. He was then, and I suspect that if
> there were an election today and he were eligible to run, he would win
> again. His presidency is not acceptable to YOU."
>
> [i say] "This is not a fact. This is your fervent wish but is not a fact"
> (dorce, 2002)
>
> hooo hummm do i smell hypocrisy here? :o Dorce unless you can totally prove
> to me that Aristide can win total Haitian support from all groups i do hope
> you practice what you preach.

Whoa, now!  The true test of an election is, "Was the will of the people expressed and honored?"  In the 2000 elections, although irregularities took place, it is clear that no matter how many rounds of voting happened, the Lavalas candidates would have won.  This is in contrast, for example, to the most recent American presidential election, in which George Bush "fils" took power despite irregularites which, when resolved, indicate that the presidency should have gone to Al Gore.

Furthermore, Aristide and the Lavalas party need not have "total Haitian support from all groups" in order to have a valid mandate, he need only have the majority of votes.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html