12924: Lynn Garrison's Reply About Vodou (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

I asked Mr. Garrison why he chose the word "voodoo" in the title of his book, "Voodoo Politics"

In the six-hundred-plus word diatribe against Aristide that followed, only the following fifty-eight words relate directly to my question:

"One reason was the name recognition VOODOO POLITICS would gain through peoples' subliminal association with VOODOO ECONOMICS, of the Reagan period. This was a simple marketing ploy. However, as I studied the importance of the relationship between Voodoo Secret Societies and Chefs de Section, in the real governance of the nation, the book's actual title became more meaningful."

So, to restate (and correct me if I am wrong, Mr. Garrison) the word "voodoo" was chosen for two reasons:

1)  The name of the religion of the majority of Haitians was used as a "marketing ploy".

2)  The "relationship between voodoo secret societies and the chefs de section" is viewed as having been of great importance to the nation's governance by Mr. Garrison.

Now, Mr. Garrison, permit me to inform you just a little bit, since your "studies" have yielded such misconceptions:

There ARE NO "Voodoo secret societies".  Vodou congregations in Haiti are public organizations, and Vodou dances are held in public.  The only ceremonies we hold which are secret are those administered to initiation candidates during their period of seclusion, and the vast majority of Vodouisants are NOT initiated.

The "secret societies" of the Sanpwel are not secret either!  It's what we DO, the decisions we make, that are secret.  But everyone knows that we are there.  Sanpwel groups may meet regularly but are only rarely activated - we might impose sanctions against criminals only a few times in a decade!  Sanpwel groups are not Vodou congregations, they are secular organizations composed of community notables, including landowners, merchants somewhat wealthier than the average, and important Houngans and Mambos.

Soooo... there was no "relationship between voodoo secret societies and chefs de section".  Rather, the chefs de section, the minions of the Army, by virtue of the proxy power at their disposal, were sometimes included in the Sanpwel decision making process.  A few may have become Sanpwel leaders.  This did not stop them from extorting Houngans and Mambos for cash protection money, by the way - those that didn't pay soon found their sacred ceremonies disrupted by those same chefs de section!

The Army-appointed chefs de section have now been replaced by elected "Agents Police Communal" and by the Haitian National Police, and the country hasn't collapsed.  Houngans and Mambos still practice our religion, the Sanpwel still exists although there is less need for a community based police force now that real policing is present in most areas.

And "Voodoo Politics" is titled as it is for one reason only - the "marketing ploy" to which Garrison shamelessly admits.  This business of "studies" and "relationships" is just bunk, like the rest of Garrison's rant.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html