12918: Re: 12904: Is voodoo a Religion: Prove it (fwd)

From: David Fonda <fonphoto@snip.net>

on 8/27/02 10:02 PM, Senou at <senou@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is voodoo a Religion: Prove it

First I must say that I am neither an authority on Vou Dou nor on religion
in general.

I would argue that Vou Dou is undoubtedly a religion because it fulfills two
of the basic requirements of one:

€  belief in a higher being(s)
    and
€  establishing a moral code for it's adherents.

Lack of a formal superstructure does not preclude it from being a religion.
Nor does a lack of scientifically accurate statistics.

Un-acceptance of the beliefs of others because they do not meet the criteria
of ones own beliefs has been the source of untold injustice throughout
history and MUST be overcome if Haiti, and the world, are to ever overcome
the inequities it suffers under.

Respect;

      Dave Fonda