12935: Genetically-based "education"? (fwd)

From: Michel DeGraff <degraff@MIT.EDU>

As someone whose profession is in (so called) "higher education", I am
deeply intrigued by Nadal's approach to "education", which seems both
patrilineal and genetically-based:

> Education is transfered from generation to generation from fathers
> to sons and daughters. It takes time.

I would deeply appreciate it if Nadal were so kind to tell us a bit
more about his definition of "education" and what it takes (e.g., what
sorts of teaching techniques, how much time exactly) before one can
become really "educated" in Haiti, in a way that would satisfy Nadal's
criteria.  Perhaps we could also hear from Nadal why mothers seem to
play no role in his definition of education.

I suspect that Nadal's contributions to this list may constitute a rare
piece of "live" ethnography/anthropology for the education of
Corbett-list denizens.

So I do thank him in advance,

                                 -michel.
MIT Linguistics & Philosophy, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139-4307
degraff@MIT.EDU        http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/www/degraff.home.html