12946: Re: 12927: Suggestion of a new list policy: posted by Marina Wilson -- Bob Corbett prefaces

>From Bob Corbett:  Folks, thank you for the many many who wrote me about
my proposed list change.   However, the note below seems important and
interesting.  I do not like to have discussions about the list itself.  WE
get enough discussion of topics on Haiti.  But, Marina makes a very
powerful case.

Thus I am asking a different question of you folks NOT FOR LIST
DISUCSSION AT THIS TIME, but just to advise me off list -- should I follow
up on Marina's suggestion, and for this one period of time only -- open
the list for discussion of the list policies themselves?  Please, do not
yet discuss the list itself -- we will do that next week either on the
list or off the list and it would be wasted if you send me those notes and
THEN I opened the list to the discussion, all those notes would be lost.

Just let me know your feeling:  is it time to open the list for a short
period -- perhaps two weeks -- to discussion of list policy.

Please advise me privately, but hold the discussion of list policy itself,
save that one issue of names in the subject line.

Please see Marina's note below.  It makes a strong case for such a
disucssion.

Bob Corbett

==================

From: Marina <marinawus@yahoo.com>

Bob:

You wrote the following:

> I won't post all these replies to the list since
> the issue is not one for "vote," this is a private
> list and not a public holding.  But, I very much
> respect your views and would like to hear them.

MY RESPONSE:

THE POPULARITY/IMPORTANCE OF THE LIST

Perhaps in your eyes and in the way you have run this
listserv this is a "PRIVATE" list. When people take
this post and send it to many others in the Haitian
community, or to their “buddy” list, or take something
that someone posted here and include it in a Haitian
newspaper article (The Haitian Times in the debate on
Creole), this LIST no longer functions as a PRIVATE
list. We are entering the public domain.

We have yet to debate on this LIST of the importance
it now occupies in Haitian Society (perhaps a little
exaggerated) but I do not know anyone in my circle of
friends or even acquaintances that do not know of THE
CORBETT LIST. Many more people are aware of the
existence of this list.

Why would the various Haitian political factions want
to wage a war of opinions on this LIST?
a)Because they are aware of its importance;
b)Because of the membership of this listserv; and,
c)They know that once something is posted on this list
it will go around PAP and the Haitian-American
community plugged to the NET.

THE IMPORTANCE OF ANONYMOUS POSTINGS

I am sure that everyone on this is aware that many
people who are on this list are using an alias (or
anonymous identity). Others, particularly the
"original" members are posting under their own names.
To each its own and we should be thankful that BOB/The
LIST is that flexible. This is probably one of the
factors that have contributed to the popularity of the
list.

As a Haitian, I want to explain to list members who
are non-HAITIAN why we do so. Many of us have family
members who still live in Haiti and would not like
that what we post affect their well being, basically
we have doubts as to our own security and that of
people we care for when we voice opinions in the
public domain.

Naive? History and the Duvalier Regime experience is
still in my mind. It is not so long ago that the
Haitian community abroad housed many spies of Duvalier
who reported everything/everyone who was "against" the
regime. Thus, I recommend that ANONYMOUS posting
remain. (Sad fact but important if we want to keep the
debate alive).

NEED FOR A NEW POLICY

Bob, this is your corner and I am sure that you are
much more aware than me of the IMPORTANCE of the list
or the growth of the membership and the parallel
membership (people who receive Corbett postings but
who are not actually on the list).

In such a context, you have to address and perhaps to
adjust your policies. I thank you for opening the
debate to us or at least for letting us voice our
opinions to you.

I look forward to an open exchange with the members of
this listserv.

Marina Wilson