12961: Re: 12936:The "Elite" who does this refer to?posted by Dorce (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 8/28/02 1:35:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
JHUDICOURTB@aol.com writes:

<<  I think there is no such thing as a Haitian Elite,there may be several
Elites.
 There is no agreement on who the word refers to.  Even within Ms. Manbo's
 text we don't really know.  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It was crystal clear to me.  The only people who don't seem to know to
whom"Haitian elite" refers, seems to be the elite themselves.  I don't blame
them, it is not a flattering epithet. If the USA has a culture, it honors the
real and down to earth.  We find arrogance and superiority unattractive,
especially when it isn't backed up by substance.  Hence the ease with which
we evaluate and find wanting these people who hold themselves in such high
esteem.  (We do not like our own elite either..but at least they keep a low
profile here!)
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>Manbo says that the children were of the "Elite", and then she says the
teachers were middle class, and she criticizes them for the "Elite" attitude.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Attitude is the key word here.  No one suggests that anyone called elite in
Haiti is truly elite.  They may or may not have money.  They may or may not
have higher education.  They DO speak French, religiously.  They hide their
belief (if they have any) in Vodou.  They hold themselves above those who are
less fortunate and treat those people as less than human.    Agreed there are
very few true "elite" families, those with money and position.  But there are
countless many what I call "wannabes".  They want to be regarded as high
class in the worst way so they adopt the attitude of the elite.  This is what
they have been taught to do if they want respect in Haiti.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>I think this is one of the worse ill-define terms in Haiti.  It is as if
people think that there are only two very defined classes in Haiti.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It's so easy.....it has nothing to do with wealth and everything to do with
attitude and character.  You want numbers and qualifications and in reality
the term applies to those who THINK themselves above the rest.  They are not
above much, in my opinion.  As Racine said, there are those wealthy few who
surprise and delight and escape being called "elite".  I feel sorry for the
bourgeoisie, they are only modeling after whom they see as successful in
their society.  They adopt the attitude without being rich.  That is why
wealth is not the only indicator.

So, Josiane, if you really want to know what is meant by "elite".....it is
simply ATTITUDE and behavior.  Form over substance......that exemplifies the
"elite" attitude in Haiti.

Kathy Dorce~