12959: Re: 12931: Is voodoo a Religion: Prove it-Dorce on Sanon (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 8/28/02 11:18:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Edy Sanon
<esanon@gate.net> writes:

<< It is therefore safe to state that Vodou is a Haitian hidden religion.
 Probably the state of reaction of the western civilization on Haitians
 dictates them not to practice Vodou openly... they however practice or
 consult Vodou for all aspects of their lives, especially when the open faith
 is not coherent with the preaching or when the expected results to a current
 problem is not evident. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Merriam-Webster defines Religion:1) : the service and worship of God or the
supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes,
beliefs, and practices 4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to
with ardor and faith

It seems to me that Vodou fills all of the requirements of the definition of
religion.  And though I appreciate Sanon's endorsement, I would add that most
Haitians do not hide their belief and practice of Vodou.  Only those who have
been taught to be ashamed of their culture, thinking it primitive and
unsophisticated, feel the need to hide their beliefs.  Just as everyone in
Haiti knows Kreyòl but many will not speak it in public or allow it spoken to
them, Vodou is a source of shame to them.  The vast numbers of Haitians who
do not fall into this category, worship openly.  If it was hidden in the
past, it was because of repression of the government in power.  Also if a
person is a beneficiary of a missionary religion (whatever it may be) and has
to renounce Vodou to receive food or care, it may be deemed prudent to keep
their true beliefs hidden.

Kathy Dorce~