12986: RE: 12976 Change in Haiti - Posted anonymously (fwd)

I am requesting an anonymous post for two reasons:  first, the post-Sept. 11
political climate in the U.S. makes my question rather sensitive, and
secondly, after reading the tenor of some of the posts on this list, I'd like
to "test the waters" before posting my name and e-mail address.  I am
appreciative to have a forum where this option is available, and I hope that
my question will merit posting even though it is anonymous.  I really would
like to know others' thoughts on the question I raise.

Robert Smith wrote:

>A lot of those who are complaining about Lavallas
>today, would do the same thing or worse if you were to
>put them in the seat because the concept of building a
>nation for the good of all citizens almost does not
>exist in our set of beliefs. We take turns breaking
>each other’s bones, and fail to unite when we need to.
>We enjoy criticizing each other and refrain from
>finding solutions together.

As an American citizen who has visited Haiti three times -- once as a
volunteer in a clinic, and twice on human rights delegations -- I have come to
the conclusion that the best use of my energies on behalf of Haiti is to
influence MY government in its policies toward Haiti, rather than trying to
sort out the internal disputes which are so vividly reflected on this list. I
use the post by Robert Smith as an example.  As I see it, it is not my place
to "tell" the Haitian people how to resolve their own conflicts.  What I do
know is that the policies of my own government have, historically, never
helped the situation.  My question to Haitians on the list is whether this is
useful as a response from American citizens, or whether there are other
strategies that could be pursued.  Is the influence of American citizens on
our government for policies which are more favorable to Haitian autonomy a
means toward Haitians finding the political, social, and economic space that
they need to find solutions together?

As Leslie Desmangles posted (#12077), it is most difficult to convey the
complexities of Haitian society to those who aren't familiar with the
country's history, recent struggles, or current situation.  I don't presume to
summarize the entirety these complexities when I teach my students (I offer a
graduate course in Race, Gender, and Class).  What I do tell my students, who
are for the most part American citizens, is that when I visit Haiti, I visit
my own country's embassy to ask officials there -- whose salaries are paid by
my tax dollars -- what projects, plans, strategies, etc. the U.S. is pursuing
in Haiti. I don't expect an honest answer -- I just want those who "represent"
me to know that at least one U.S. citizen is asking questions.  I also suggest
to my students that there is an inherent racism and arrogance in going as an
individual American to a place such as Haiti and presuming that any one person
can "fix" the internal problems of the country which have been so often and
powerfully described by contributors to this list.  It seems that as an
American, the most important thing I could do is to take responsibility for my
own country's actions by becoming involved in our process.

I just post this question to the contributors on the list because I would be
interested in (reasonable) feedback.  It seems to be a point that could at
least further dialogue among U.S. and Haitian communities.