13001: NEW LIST POLICY effective Monday, Sept. 9th.

Folks, After a massive outpouring of support, I will introduce a new
list policy for posting, effective Monday, Sept. 7th.

I allow that much time since I do know that many of you get rather far
behind in messages and may not get this one for a while.

NEW POLICY.  In order for me to post an item, the subject line must
contain AS THE VERY FIRST ITEM, either the login name you use on your
e-mail address, or your own name, whichever you choose.

PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY.  As almost all realize, in the past year or two
the list has been increasingly used as a forum for lots of political
propaganda by various factions within Haitian politics.  Many are on this
list for solid information, and discussion and interchange of ideas and
these folks often VEHEMENTLY resent this intrusion of propaganda.

A number of names (login names and personal names) are easily associated
with posts which are typically propagandistic.  In this fashion those who
prefer to be spared those posts can simply delete posts with names on them
which they recognize as ones they don't care to read.

I will continue as always to recognize the right of people to post items
anonymously when they are sensitive, but will not do this for ANY POSTS
which are, in my judgment, propagadistic in nature.

Recall too, that I already do require for NEWS items of things one doesn't
write onesself, that the source and date be identified.  That too must be
in the subject line.

WHY MUST THE NAME COME FIRST?  Many people pointed out to me that some
e-mail services, aol among them, shorten subject lines.  In this way
the name will the the first thing following my number of the post.

For a while I will send reminders to people who fail to meet this
posting rule.  But I don't have time for that, so after a while when
it is common practice on the list for a bit, I will simply delete
offending posts without notice.

Bob Corbett