13003: Chamberlain: re 12999: State Department briefing (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> MR. BOUCHER: The answer is not [overtly] supporting the removal of
> democratically elected
> leaders [who are not in our interest and threaten to be an example to
others
> within our "sphere of influence."]

I appreciate Mr Ewen's partly-accurate reading between the lines of what
Boucher said.  But what is this fantasy that Aristide and his government
are some kind of dangerous infection or "example to others" that will, by
implication, ignite revolution in the region?  That Washington is trembling
with terror at the prospect?

What is the feared "example to others"?  Has the material lot of Haitians
improved under Aristide?  Has corruption decreased?  Are the streets of the
capital no longer clogged with mountains of garbage?  Is the electricity
supply any better?  Are regime thugs and intimidation just a memory?

No, no and no.  So how does any of this "threaten to be an example to
others"?

        Greg Chamberlain