12012: Bob Corbett wants to meet list member in Haiti

>From Bob Corbett:

Folks, I will be going to Haiti on Oct. 3rd and staying three weeks until
Oct. 24th.  Obviously this may well cause significant gaps in mailings
coming to you from the list during that period of time, but I'll do my
best.

This will be the first time I've been back to Haiti since internet service
has become fairly avaialble, and thus the first time since there has been
a significant number of list members in Port-au-Prince.  Plus, a number of
you who live outside Haiti will be back in mid-October for the Haitian
Studies Association meetings.

I would simply LOVE to meet any and all list members just to chat.  It
would be a lot of fun for me to put faces with names, and, as always to
chat about mutual interests, most of which will likely be Haiti-related,
but not necessarily all.  Any Haitian list members in Haiti out there with
serious interests in Existential philosophy or the works of Martin
Heidegger and Friederich Nietzsche?   Soccer maniacs wanting to rehash the
World Cup and speculate on the next one?  Fans of the upcoming Women's
World Cup?  Lovers of tasty Haitian food?  All sorts of possibilities.

I will be staying at the Hotel Oloffson and unfortunately won't be able to
get around very easily.  I have serious problems with cartlidge in my
knees (too much soccer for too many years of my life) compounded by
arthritis, thus I can't walk well.  That's a major handicap in
Port-au-Prince.  But, the're lovely places to sit on the veranda and have
a  drink and chat, or it's not hard for me to find a taxi to meet
elsewhere if taxis go there, but I'm fairly limited by my inability to
walk much.

Please -- I haven't been to Haiti much lately, and really want to meet
as many of you as I can.  I'm going to start making plans and meetings
right away, so if we can get together, drop me an e-mail and let's plan
something.  I do want to meet YOU, each of you whom I can.  I probably
have never seen face to face and name to face, more than a couple of
dozen of you who are on the Haiti list.  I'd love to make this a time for
getting to know and recoginze quite a few of you.

Lastly, if any of you with computers would like to "host" a day's posting
to the list, let me know.  I would have to come to your computer and
using my web-based account, post the notes to the list from your computer.
This will help get messages to the list and save me the expense and
difficulty of using a cyber cafe.  I'm not going to bring my own computer
to Haiti, just too hard for me to manage, and no places to tie into the
internet anyway.

Waiting to hear from YOU.

Thanks,

Bob Corbett