12013: Back to School in Haiti is set for September 2nd (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Back to School in Haiti is set for September 2nd

Would it be peaceful? Would the students go back to
school?
I urge every single student to return to school and
stay away from politic of self-destruction. A few
years ago students were boycotting the bac I had
ordered my youngest brother and nephew to take their
tests. Today, my youngest brother is a Roman Catholic
priest in Haiti and my nephew is a medical doctor.

Students in boycotting la rentrée you will harm
yourselves and you have much to lose. Look around you:
the sons and daughters of all these players are
studying in foreign countries, Canada, France, London,
Germany, NY, Jamaica, Miami and the United States.
Pretty soon , you are not going to need the help of
Parrains and Marrains to get a job, you must come up
with your credentials.
As students, I expect you to use your brain and do not
let these politicians taking advantage of you.
Actually you cannot do crap for yourselves and for the
country. Get your university degree or a technical
diploma first get a job then you are in business.

Students, Professors and educators please try to use a
collaborative approach. Use negotiation and dialogue
instead of confrontation. Today, you see clearly that
the current Haitian politicians have difficulties to
negotiate among themselves you should set an example.
I expect more from you. Professors, those of you who
had survived Magloire and Dr. Duvalier, you have a
better understandings of that situation, I urge you to
do your job and be truthful with the students. Please
don’t put them at each other throat; it is pitiful
watching students throwing rock at each other in a
peaceful protest.

Students, regardless of what many might say, you are
the future of the country, I ask you to act
responsibly. People will support you but if there is
no distinction between you during a peaceful protest
and others, some will spare their energy. I still
cannot believe it and I don’t want to believe it:
throwing rocks and projectiles during a peaceful
protest and you call yourselves University Students.
This is a joke. I expect a different behavior between
you and those who …  This is unacceptable.

Clearly the government had overstepped its boundary in
appointing unilaterally an administrative council and
this should not stand.
When schools resume, Professors and students shall
form a committee to study the situation. They should
use articles 208 and 209 of the constitution to
resolve that issue. The Haitian congress is trying to
write a new law governing the University but this
issue should be resolved with the current law in the
book.

THE UNIVERSITY - THE ACADEMY- CULTURE
ARTICLE 208:

Higher education is free. It is provided by the
University of the Haitian State (Université d'Etat
d'Haïti), which is autonomous and by the superior
public schools and the superior private schools
accredited by the State.

ARTICLE 209:

The State must finance the operation and development
of the Haitian State University and the public
superior schools. Their organization and their
location must be planned from the perspective of
regional development.

Joseph Alfred, Educator
P.O. BOX 334
Smyrna, GA 30081