12014: Unsubscribe and Why (fwd)

From: Fr. Michael Graves <harchim@yahoo.com>

Dear Bob and List Members,

Greetings from Haiti.

Last night; actually at 3:10am today, I received
the third in a series of telephone calls which
threatened me because of my posts on the Corbett List.
The caller this time merely said...in poor English:
"Hi Aristide-lover; you won't be around much longer if
you keep saying what you say on the Corbett List", and
then the caller hung-up without a response from me.
Other calls were not in the early morning hours, but
said practically the same thing. I  have also received
numerous private messages from several list
members...not through the Corbett List but directly to
me, which were meancing and terribly nasty.

[Corbett interjects:  Here I deleted two charges
that I prefer not to reveal here on line of e-mail "harrassment"
from two list members.]

I have these private messages in my file; they are all
related to the Corbet List and things I have posted.

Other friends of mine here in Haiti have received
similar threats and nasty comments, both privately and
on the list; and one of those friends was even run off
the road when he was on his motorcycle several months
ago, resuting in several months of casts and crutches.
All of this the result of our association with the
Corbett List.

To be sure, the friends of whom I speak, and I
are...and will continue to be supporters of the
legally-elected president of Haiti, Jean Bertrand
Aristide. It is difficult for us to stand-by quietly
and allow him to be so maligned and ridiculed without
snapping back. But the List now seems to allow, if not
support this anti-Aristide nastiness, and has become
what I consider to be a dangerous list with which
those of us in Haiti who support our government should
be connected.

A number of others agree with me, and you will
probably be hearing from them soon.

We work here in order to help Haiti and Haitians,
and  I don't feel that we need to place ourselves in
further danger by being associated with a list which
has become too public and controversial. I have gained
much from being on the Corbett List, but the recent
changes in subject matter and the overly-political and
anti-governmental tone have caused me to have concern
for my well-being here in Haiti. I do not want anymore
threatenting telephone calls or nasty private messages
from list your members.

Because of this, I respectfully request that you
remove my name and address from the list. I will
"unsubscribe" in the proper manner.

    Sincerely,

    Father Michael Graves (harchim@yahoo.com)