13073: Dorce posts:Re: 12986:Change in Haiti - Posted anonymously (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 8/31/02 7:01:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, anonymous writes:

<< I have come to
 the conclusion that the best use of my energies on behalf of Haiti is to
 influence MY government in its policies toward Haiti, rather than trying to
 sort out the internal disputes which are so vividly reflected on this list. I
 use the post by Robert Smith as an example.  As I see it, it is not my place
 to "tell" the Haitian people how to resolve their own conflicts.  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I agree with you 100%.  As I see it, all countries and all governments make
mistakes, including the US.  If I felt that this government could let Haiti
decide how best to proceed, I would be the happiest person on this list.  I
have little  hope that this will happen in my lifetime.  I fear that little
Haiti has captured the attention of the "big eaters" of this country for some
reason.  Obsessive fear of a populist leaning government, maybe?  Trampled
egos from not being able to manipulate the presidential election to their
satisfaction?  Too much testosterone?  "My stick is bigger than your stick?"

I like your style...very much.  I like that you question your embassy staff
in Haiti.  I like that you put them on notice that American citizens care
what our foreign policy is and how it effects this sovereign nation.  I am
not one of the Haitians you directed your post to but I wanted to respond
anyway that this American agrees with you and feels that our government has a
lot to answer for and needs to be held accountable for past, present and
future actions in Haiti (as well as globally!).  I would like to get the word
out to as many Americans as possible.  I feel if they knew the truth about
what harm our government does to Third World countries, they would be very
unhappy and demand that it stop.  How can we be so proud of our character and
bravery when we sit by and let our government manipulate the fragile economy
of Haiti.  Millions suffer and die because we are holding up loans and
selling US goods in Haiti, putting farmers out of business.

Anyway, it's not popular these days to say that the US is less than heroic in
every way, but that is the truth and we ought to be honest and brave enough
to say it.

Kathy Dorce~