13070: Pina posts Release from Quixote Center RE: OAS Unblocking Aid to Haiti (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION:

Quixote Center
September 5, 2002

OAS URGES UNBLOCKING OF AID TO HAITI

On September 4th the Organization of American States unanimously
approved a resolution to support strengthening democracy in Haiti. This
included improved security and justice as well as provisions for free
and fair elections in the first half of 2003. Also “to support
normalization of economic cooperation between the Government of Haiti
and the international financial institutions and urge those parties to
resolve the technical and financial obstacles that preclude such
normalization.” The institutions referred to have frozen hundreds of
millions of dollars in humanitarian aid; the OAS is supporting the
resumption of the blocked aid due to the concern of a possible
“humanitarian disaster” in the hemisphere’s poorest nation. The U.S.
vote may have been cast due to mounting criticism of the Bush
administration from Congressional Democrats over maintaining a Haiti
policy that was only hurting the citizens of the impoverished nation.
However U.S. representative Peter DeShazo said the U.S. government
“reserves the right to make decisions on international financial
institution projects in Haiti on the merits of each individual
proposal.” The OAS has set the stage by giving approval and
encouragement for the unblocking of aid. We must now take action to see
that international financial institutions heed the call.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

As we approach the 200th Anniversary of Haiti’s birth as the first free
nation of free people, join us in raising our voices to the U.S.
government and saying,

“NO MORE IMPERIALISM!”

Today the U.S. Government is using its power and influence to hold up
$500 million in humanitarian aid. Withholding this money earmarked for
health, drinking water, basic education and rural roads is having
disastrous effects on the Haitian people. That is why we are asking you
to join us in our campaign!

Kite Ayiti Viv!
Let Haiti Live!
- Join us in Washington, D.C. on September 24-25 as we lobby the U.S.
Congress to use its oversight authority to end this unjust policy

- Join us at the U.S. State Department in Washington, D.C. on September
25 to protest the use of humanitarian aid as a political weapon- if you
can’t be in Washington, protest at the State House in your own
community.

- Contact Haiti Reborn for a Let Haiti Live! Action kit to learn more
ways you can get involved- (301) 699-0042 www.haitireborn.org

Why Should you support the campaign to Let Haiti Live?

* HIV/AIDS has now infected more than 4% of the Haitian population.
This
means 163,000 new orphans and 30,000 new Adult cases annually.

* There is one physician for every 10,000 Haitian patients.

* The UN has designated Haiti the 3rd hungriest country in the world.

* The average life expectancy in Haiti is only 53 years.

Dr. Paul Farmer of the Zanmi Lasante Clinic:
“The causes of worsening conditions are many, but it is
possible—indeed, imperative—to underline the direct connection between
unnecessary suffering and death and an aid embargo, which has dramatically
diminished the ability of the public-health system to respond to the needs
of the Haitian people.”

Representative Donna Christian-Christensen (D-VI):
“The real culprit is our country. The U.S. is the one blocking the
investment, the populations funds, and possibility of funds from other
donors. So I am here with my colleagues to call on our President who
has refused to meet with us for months, to end the embargo, and release the
people of Haiti from the bondage of sickness, poverty and despair.”

Representative Edolphus Towns (D-NY):
“Despite Aristide’s democratic authenticity, the [Democratic
Convergence, opposition coalition]’s provocations have effectively cut
off international re-sources to Haiti while billions of US dollars flow
to authoritarian nations such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.”

Senator Christopher Dodd (D-CT):
“Shame on the Government of the United States for pressuring the IDB to
[withhold funds]. Seven million people are desperately in need of help.
We have gone on now for years denying this basic assistance. It is time
to put a stop to playing politics with Haitian lives, and it is time to
respond to the unfolding crisis in Haiti.”

For flyers to share with friends and neighbors call us 301-699-0042 or
email haiti@haitireborn.org