13086: KenbeFo Post RE: 13081 Danger in Haiti (fwd)

From: Stay Strong <kenbefo2004@yahoo.com>

Bob Corbett wrote:

>I'd be very curious if any of the scholars on the
>list who watch such
>things have any idea of just how much of the past 20
>years, and especially
>since about 1983 when Haiti's popular movements began
>to gain public
>strenght -- in those years how often has Haiti been
>on that U.S. warning
>system? It would seem to me like it's there most of
>the time.

Yes, you are correct.  And it isn't just the State
Dept. that sends out this kind of "Haiti hysteria" --
it's the general public, as well.  I don't know how
many times I've told a fellow American that I've been
to Haiti, and the response is incredulity and some
comment about the "danger."  This kind of collective
consciousness here bothers me deeply, but perhaps it
is changing with an ever-greater Haitian presence in
the States.  In any event, I try to use the moment for
education regarding Haiti.

Of course, think of it from another perspective.  How
did the Arawaks and Tainos feel in 1492 in terms of
feeling threatened by danger?