13093: tou_dwat: Re: 13086: KenbeFo Post RE: 13081 Danger in Haiti

From: tou dwat <tou_dwat@hotmail.com>

Again, be indulgent with my English…

Cute story :

I was working in Haiti in 2000 – 2001 while maintaining a shared custody of
my 2 kids in Montreal. The deal was 10 days in Haiti – 10 days in Montreal…
After a few months working in popular parts of PAP, I installed myself in
Tabarre and made friends in Léogane, Jacmel whom I visited on week ends… at
some point, the set up was right to introduce my kids during school break. I
tried to get my kids to spend a week with me in Haiti… Wow.. even if the
mother of the kids lived in Africa, her reaction to Haiti was fueled by the
state dept and Canadian foreign affaires alarms… No way my kids are going in
SUCH A PLACE…. was her definitive position…

So I went to court to have a rational decision made on the right of my kids
to travel….

The state dept notice came up in court, but also…the opinions of the haitian
diaspora who was even worse than the government position…. To top it off,
came up a  National Post article made by Claude Adams saying that the
Haitian were out after the blancs ! The story was a piece of TRASH (I can
say that since he used a rumor about me, which is false, to beef up his
pretensions that the Haitians were after the blancs…) Looking back, Adams
only justified himself for staying at the Oloffson terrace sipping punch for
the whole length of his stay….

In the light of this overwhelming devilish description of the Haitian
society, the arguments of responsible parents actually bringing there kids
to Haiti was rejected… the fact that the Canadian ambassador had bring his
own grandchildren for Christmas was also rejected, based on the presumption
that he had armed guards with him…

The kids lost there right to travel….

Fighting against that ‘evil other’ is almost impossible for now (specially
post 9-11)…but what’s more disturbing, is that if we don’t fight it…people
like my kids will be part of those who perpetrate false justification of
they own insecurity….

Looking back, the ones I really resent in this story (beside Claude ADAMS)
are the some members of the Haitian Diaspora depicting their origin in the
same way a human would distinguish himself from monkeys…

PS… if anybody has had experience of bringing their kids to haiti during
that period, my kids and me would like to hear from you…
PS 2 : for those who will land in haiti for their first time… during your
first evening, please go have a beer on champ de mars and make up your own
mind….