13099: Kim Ives writes on Duncan Stewart

From: K. M. Ives <kives@toast.net>

Iain,

Drums of Destiny, written in the 1940s, is a fictionalized account of
Stewart's life. I forget the author's name right now but I believe it may
be Peter Bourne.

[Corbett interjects:  The author is Peter Bourne.  The novel was published
in 1947 and was then published in England under the title Black Saga.]

In many ways, the novel/biography reminds me of Madison
Smart Bell's on-going trilogy (which also has a doctor as protagonist).
The book is scandalously racist in its portrayal of Haitians (as books of
that period tend to be), but nonetheless quite a good read and
educational. The story, which starts in the Scottish Highlands, is quite
detailed about the life and death of his parents, adopted family, and his
love interests (including one of his adopted sisters).

Kim Ives