13110: Re:#13107, Florestal Asks on Origins of Ti Zwazo (fwd)

From: Jean-Marie Florestal <sonice1953@yahoo.com>

Keyword: Culture, Songs

Jean Jean-Pierre wrote

<<Haiti is still waiting for Harry Belafonte to give a
little of his residuals he made from recording some of
our great songs.>>

Growing up in Haiti, I always took for granted that
the song, Ti Zwazo, was part of Haiti's cultural
assets. To my great surprise when I moved to the U.S.,
a friend from Barbados, who grew up in England,
disagreed with me on the origins of the song, claiming
it has an English heritage. And to prove his argument,
he pointed to me the "real" title of the song in
English, "Yellow Bird." Can anybody from the list shed
some lights on the origins of the song?