13146: Wilcken posts: Haiti and the root meaning of "elite" (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

We're discussing the Haitian elite without a common understanding of the
term.  How about looking at its root meaning?  "Elite" comes down from
the Latin for "to choose," so it's been understood to mean "the chosen
ones."  Wealthy and/or governing classes typically consider themselves
chosen, by God or nature.  Monarchs used a theory of divine rights (God),
and the bourgeousie subscribes to Darwinism (nature, i.e., it's in the
genes).  In this fundamental sense of the word, does Haiti have an elite,
that is, a class that believes itself chosen?  The answer may seem
obvious, but I'd like to have some examples on hand, particularly from
written materials, if such exist.

Lois

La Troupe Makandal - New York City's Center for Haitian Drum and Dance
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org