13176: Denis: Re: 13168: Corbett: Reflections on the discussion of the Haitian elite (fwd)

From: Jude-Laure Denis <judela@rcn.com>

Bravo, Bob! Well said. Of course, every society develops an elite, be it the
family of the tribal chieftain or that of our political and business
leaders.  It is the nature of humans to develop distinctions among
themselves.  This can be seen in the most, so-called "primitive" tribes such
as the Yanomamo people of South America as well as in the most so-called
"advanced" societies such as the United States, the United Kingdom or even
Japan.

Ultimately, however, a debate about the existence or non-existence of a
Haitian elite leads nowhere, though it might be of interest
anthropologically.

As a new member of the list, I would suggest that we focus our attentions on
how we can help our island home and leave the finger pointing to the nursery
schools where it belongs.

Jude-Laure Denis Parisien