13179: Dorce posts: Re:13153: Burnham on elite debate and brass tac... (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 9/12/02 10:14:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time, thor burnham
<thorald_mb@hotmail.com> writes:

<<  Although you don't consider yourself part of an elite, you can be
 categorized as such, will be categorized as such, and have been categorized
 as such (whether you know it or not, and/or whether you like it or not).
 This can depend not only on the definitions being used to slot you into a
 particular category, but also on who is doing the defining.
    In my own case I am constantly reminded that I possess "white privilege",
 whether i want to admit it or not. I am also regularly reminded that as a
 white male I am part of an internation cabal of white males who conspire to
 keep everyone else down. (I'm exaggerating and half-kidding, to clarify, but
 i have been told that to my face on more than one occassion; yet one can't
 ignore the realities of the historical process). And, obviously, the Bush
 administration is doing nothing to help this perception. In other words,
 although "i only bank at Chase Manhattan" other people may assume I'm a
 Rockefeller whether I like it or not. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am not talking about this kind of elite.  Yes I realize that I am seen a
different way because I am white and American.  But I do not look down on
these people, and they know it.  They would never call me elite.....never.
Not if they knew me for 5 minutes.  Also I have never been called blan.  They
call me Katty. (hard T)  My husband (who is from the majority class) confirms
that even behind my back I am known by my name and not my class or my color.
That is for one reason.  I approach everyone with respect and
friendliness.....which is more than they've gotten from their elites.  I know
you know what I'm talking about.  I'm sure that's the response you get too.

I'm not going to say more about who and what the elites are, because I just
read Bob Corbett's outstanding post and that says it all!  (post #13168)

Best to you Thor,

Kathy Dorce~