13178: Dorce posts:Re: 13137: Corbett on A plea for knowledge (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 9/11/02 8:19:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
corbetre@webster.edu writes:

<< Kathy speaks of guts and courage and all that as though those macho values
 were to be upheld as virtues.  I'm very suspicous.  I prefer truth,
 insight and wisdom.  I can them act on my own, with courage or caution,
 with dash, elan and guts, or in fear and trembling, which is more like me.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I don't think you understand what I was saying at all.  I do not mean guts
and courage as in John Wayne and Teddy and the Rough Riders.  Far from it.  I
think standing up for what you believe in, even if it isn't popular and what
the rest of the group is saying, is courageous and gutsy.  Believing in right
over might is courageous.  Bob, should I be insulted that you think I am so
shallow as to prefer bluster over truth?  You couldn't be more wrong.  The
truth is the most important thing there is, period.  I also like to think I
am insightful and of course wisdom is always to be aspired to.

I believe it is very brave to take a stand or take an action when you are
trembling in fear.  That is what courage is all about.  What I can't abide is
this constant harping about what is wrong with Aristide.  It's the same old
propaganda; it hasn't turned into truth yet and until it does it's just not
impressive to me.  I don't demand that everyone who identifies a problem come
up with a solution.....but to NEVER speak positively about the situation is
simply not going to do anything.  I see it as a prelude to a coup.  Soften
the people up and then they might tolerate a coup or an invasion.  Sometimes
we need to look beneath the surface to see the truth of what people are
saying and why.

That having been said, let me assure you and the list that I am completely
against censorship.  I defend anyone's right to say what they believe.  But
you'd better believe that if I disagree with it, you will hear from me.
Which, of course, is MY right.  No one has ever heard me say that a person
should not be allowed to post here.  I put my beliefs out  there for anyone
to shoot down, and shoot they do, along with the ones who tell me they agree
with what I've said.  This is ok with me.  It promotes lively discussion.  I
think the list is alive right now, and for this you should be proud, Bob.
Who knows who is watching and maybe formulating new ideas.  To me this is all
healthy.  Let's keep talking.

Kathy Dorce~