13191: Re: 13115: potteryrn wondering about abortion and Vodou (fwd)

From: MaryEllen Sanok <potteryrn@yahoo.com>

I am very interested in women's health, especially the
health of women in Haiti.  As many of you know, the
health and educational level of women in a country
statistically correlates with the health of the
country as a whole...statistically Haiti isn't doing
very well on the wellness scale  :-(

As a health provider going to Haiti yearly (not
enough~!) to work in a clinic, I see many women who
are interested in methods of birth control to prevent
pregnancy.  Many men and women I have met have no idea
how the human body functions reproductively.  So my
question aligns in many ways with this writer ~~ how
do women in Haiti terminate their pregnancies to have
a family size which is acceptable to them?
Surgically?  Voudou?  Leaf doctoring?  Is reproductive
health taught in the schools, or in the villages to
the undereducated masses?

Any answers would be appreciated.