13225: Simidor disagrees with Bell on one point (fwd)

From: karioka9@arczip.com

On 19 Sep 2002 at 10:42, madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu> wrote:

> A Carnival tradition which Danticat does not directly discuss is
> voye pwen -- literally to send a point.  In Vodou belief, a pwen is a
> spell, which may be embodied in an object or a phrase or a song lyric,
> meant to do magical work on the recipient in the interest of the
> sender. Thus a carnival song whose political protest is densely veiled
> is also intensified by  magical properties.

I enjoyed reading Bell’s review but disagree with his take on “voye pwen.”
Carnival, much more so than Rara, is a secular celebration.  Its satirical songs
are closer to Calypso than Vodou.

People say “voye pwen” or “voye pwent.”  A pwent, or pointe in French, is a
dig, a tease, sort of like Bloods (Black studs) playing the dozens in the US.
The Compas-Direct bands of the 1950s and 1960s reveled in social satire, and
the Konpa groups of the 1980s indulged in rather coarse sexual innuendos,
but the Rabòday movement of the Jean-Claude years, and Rasin bands like
Boukan Ginen, Koudjay, or even Ram, have been on the cutting edge of
political satire and liberation politics.  Boukman Eksperyans, whose Champ
de Mars concert last Wed. evening was aborted by Lavalas and police thugs,
is part of that proud tradition.  Bravo Boukman!

There is of course a religious explanation for everything under the sun, but
it’s not always the best or most accurate explanation.

Daniel Simidor