13246: Karshan: Pres. Aristide press conference upon return from Earth Summit (English) (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Press Conference by His Excellency Jean-Bertrand Aristide, about his
participation to the Earth Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Port-au-Prince International Airport, September 4, 2002.

We are always happy to be back. Happy to see you again and to greet you.
While I give you our greetings, I also give you greetings from many good
friends of Haiti.

President Mbeki greets you in a very special way. The solidarity expressed
through those greetings has deep roots: historical roots, cultural roots that
lead us at home in Africa, on this continent, the earth, our earth.

These roots have been fruitful through time. I remember this meeting in 1993,
in Washington, between Big Brother Mandela, who wasn't Head of State yet, and
many Americans of African origin. It was about expressing solidarity through
funds. At this moment, I remember that we, from the Haitian delegation, had
noticed that the highest offer done by someone was US$10,000.

To express our strong ties with our mother earth through Big Brother Mandela,
between the members of the delegation, we decided that we needed to at least
triple that amount. And so, in the name of the Republic of Haiti, I offered
US$30,000, as an expression of our solidarity. A small action, but a small
action that wasn't forgotten by our African brothers, when I was back among
them in 1994. Well, among others, Mr. Mbeki had then expressed his gratitude
for a solidarity that won't be forgotten.

Today, President of this country, he continues to feel this solidarity.
Welcoming me to his top table, he was the first one to speak to me about our
Independence Bicentennial. It was not the first time we discussed that. But I
was happy to see he was the one starting the discussion.

I could talk about many Heads of State from Africa, from Senegal to Benin,
passing through Uganda, who all react the same way too. Their eyes are all
turned toward Haiti. Because they know that we are preparing a major event
that concerns them too.

Coming back from this Summit on Environment, I would like to mention a
thought that is at the crossroads of ecology and politics. If this Summit
took place in South Africa, it is because at a certain time, South Africa had
to solve a political problem in order to welcome this ecological Summit.

In Haiti, we have ecological problems, but we need to solve our political
problem in order to make our ecological environment better. President Mbeki,
head of his government, after President Mandela, may not be moving with great
steps on the economic level, but he is certainly in the right direction. And
we are very happy to see that they were able to host many international
summits in such a short time.

If they hadn't found their political solution, they wouldn't have had the
right environment to welcome the entire world as they just did. In this
sense, South Africa is a greater country than ours is. It certainly is when
we consider its size. We are talking about a country of 1,221,037 square
kilometers, and a population of 43,300,000 inhabitants.

The greatness of its size, its population, the size of its population,
reminds us the greatness of our history, Haiti's history. While we are
getting ready to celebrate two hundred years of independence, they are
getting ready to celebrate their first decade as a free nation. It was in
1994.

President Mbeki confirmed that he wants to celebrate our bicentennial with us
and their first decade as a free nation, in 2004. In the year 2000, South
Africa was the first ranked country in gold production in the world. 57.9% of
the gold produced in the world is produced by 5 countries. First comes South
Africa, with 17%, then the United States, with 14%, and Canada is fifth, with
6%. So we are talking about a gold exporting country.

Here in Haiti, we export human gold. The 2.5 million Haitians who live abroad
are human gold, together with the human wealth we represent here.

In Africa, Haiti is still the reference when we talk about independence. And
at the crossroads of ecology and politics, I would like to bring to all my
fellow citizens' attention this wealth, this human wealth given through our
ancestors, from whom we inherited our independence. We, from this generation,
are getting ready to celebrate this event. This event is not only ours. It is
a major event concerning all black nations. I can still see Aime Cesaire, the
apostle of negritude, who was the mayor of Fort-de-France, Martinique for 55
years, and was a deputy in the French Parliament for 47 years. He retired
last March, at the age of 87 years old. But he left the negritude a strength
that needs to be among the Black people. Negritude will be given new strength
in the celebration of the bicentennial of our independence. Because with such
pride, we cannot talk about negritude if we are still tied to slavery chains.

Our independence gave the Black people a great pride, so Haiti can certainly
revitalize the negritude and the future of all Black nations of the world. So
we have the responsibility to manage our political baggage well, in order to
prepare this event with much more pride: collective pride, the pride of my
brothers in the Opposition, of my Lavalas brothers, of those who are neither
in the Opposition nor in Lavalas. But as Haitians, we transcend political
differences and we will make this event a real strength that will increase
our pride as Black people facing the White world. Because the celebration of
our bicentennial, that stimulates the negritude, also concerns the White
people. Because the French Parliament recognized slavery as a crime against
humanity, the sun of our civilization was able to emerge. And civilized White
people can only work together with us to prepare this event because it is an
event that concerns freedom. And freedom goes beyond races, beyond frontiers,
beyond time because it concerns human kind.

When I met President Chirac in Mexico, he was candidate for the elections and
we had talked about the bicentennial. When we met again in Spain, he had been
reelected. And he was the first one to discuss the bicentennial of our
independence with me. That means that where there are civilized White people,
we find a solidarity between White and Black to celebrate this major event!
Because the pride of a man or a woman cannot be tied to the chains of slavery.

Today, I call to my brothers in the Opposition who, one way or the other held
hands with my Haitian brothers while I was away to maintain this spirit of
peace, like I had recommended. I thank them in the name of our ancestors who
gave us this freedom. 2004 does not belong to Lavalas only, nor to
Convergence. 2004 belongs to Lavalas and Convergence, to all Haitians. And in
the name of that independence, I believe that the time has come to hold each
other's hands like we did these last three days, to open the road to peace.
May this road be wider to lead us towards the celebration of the bicentennial
of our independence. As we go along, I certainly believe that with my
brothers and sisters in the Opposition, not only we can talk about negritude
and stimulate it, but we can also talk about haitianitude. Because what Haiti
brought to the negritude is unique. We are the First Black Republic in the
world. It is we, Haitians, who showed that we can take our independence. So
haitianitude can become a strength for negritude. And when we are united,
like our ancestors were united to give us this independence, we can talk very
proudly about haitianitude and all Black people in the world can find life
strength in it. You would be surprised and glad to see the patriotic
vibration that goes beyond the African continent, when the Black people of
Africa were talking about that celebration of the bicentennial of our
independence. Me, I felt that vibration. Many of the Black men who were
chained up and carried on these grounds by force jumped in the sea before
they got here, because they had the sap of freedom running through their
veins, and they didn't want to come here, be slaves, be humiliated. And now
we, grandsons and granddaughters of our ancestors to whom we gave this pride
with our independence, are getting ready for the celebration of our
independence and we certainly have that sap inside us. That's why they
vibrate with us.

Even if there won't be a summit on environment tomorrow morning, I am hoping
that with the help of all Haitians, our forest coverage can go from 1% to X%.
And that political work, with consensus, with compromise, can lead us towards
an economic releasing so we can have more money to plant trees in our
country, to stimulate our ecology, our environment. And immediately, all
people in the Opposition or not, people working for the State or not (private
and public sectors) will have more positive energy. This way, instead of
facing each other as enemies, we will stand beside each other so our country
can mobilize more human resources each day which will give us more strength
so that, together with the economic releasing, we can do more for our
environment.

With this wish, I once again give you a brotherly embrace. And I have the
absolute certainty that we, Haitian people, can make it.

I couldn't end without thanking in the name of the Haitian people all the
members of the delegation who came with me to this Summit, so that together
and united, we continue to hold each other's hand to move towards the
celebration of the bicentennial of our independence.

THANK YOU.

QUESTIONS/ANSWERS:

I will take 2 or 3 questions, because the weight of strain is heavy, so we
won't be long.

BOISVERT JEAN-ETIENNE:

I work for Radio Quisqueya. President Aristide, you say it is time that
Lavalas and Convergence walk together on the road to 2004. During the last
few weeks, we felt there is renewed tension between Lavalas and Convergence.
What will you do in concrete terms because at the Summit, you announced there
will be elections in 2003? What will you do in concrete terms to lower this
tension?

My second question concerns the declaration of some members of popular
organizations this week who said there will be changes on the government
level. We would like to hear your reaction to this declaration. Do you plan
to make changes?

In this Summit, you certainly met many important people, among which was the
Head of the World Bank. Was there any practical commitment to unfreeze the
aid?

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

Thank you. For your first question: before I left, I said that only the road
of peace can lead us towards liberation and I believe in that. Convergence
and Lavalas are Haitians who will continue to dialogue with Haitians in the
respect they owe each other. Respect of political views, respect of political
strategies, so they can compliment one another on the road of peace. That's
what will lead us to elections together. My duty as the Head of State,
together with the Prime Minister as the Head of Government and all members of
Government, is to accompany for example the Police, so that the Police who
does good work can continue to do good work in protecting all political
parties without distinction so they can express themselves freely. Get them
well prepared for their work on the ground so that when we get to the
elections, all political parties feel they had the same chance and the same
protection for their rights from the police.

My duty is to continue to listen to the Opposition so we can make necessary
changes on our level when they make constructive comments. So that when they
express their demands, we can give them satisfaction the best way we can. And
I hope that if the draft of agreement is voted in the OAS today, this week or
before long, it will reinforce what I am saying now so that no one believes
they are the big winner in all this and the other should feel humiliated. I
always said it and I will repeat it: there is no winner and no loser. It is
the country that will benefit when we get to an agreement for the country's
own good.

Concerning the Government, it is my duty to always listen to what the
population, the organizations and the citizens have to say. When they say
they are happy with the government, I have to hear them. When they say they
are not happy, I have to hear them. But it is also my duty to tell them where
I stand. I will keep listening to you, but for now, there won't be any
changes in the Government. When I say there won't be any changes in the
Government now, does that mean I scorn their criticism? No. Does it mean I
don't listen to their criticism? No. I hear them with respect and I know they
are smart enough to hear me too. A time comes when we need to get to an
agreement, and now the time has come for us to get to an agreement, so they
can sit with members of Government to have a dialogue in respect, so we can
walk forward together.

Regarding your third question, it is not the first time I meet the President
of the World Bank, Mr. Wolfensen. We have always been on good terms. You can
remember the time he visited La Saline with us. His wife, Helene, will never
forget this visit and neither will he. Every time there is a Summit, we meet,
we discuss. There are some things that depend on him and others things that
don't. We traveled in the same airplane and it was a pleasure to have a great
discussion on Haiti with him. He understands the situation but as I said,
there are some things that don't depend on him. That's why we are hoping
that, while he will do the best he can, we can move forward together, actors
on the political level, my dear sisters and brothers on the civil society
level, in majority or in minority, and all people in the public sector.

If I may dare, I will open a parenthesis with quite a delicate comment.

Every time a rich Haitian gets together with a poor Haitian to defend the
same cause, foreigners respect us more. If there are Haitians who are paying
foreigners abroad to keep the country from an economic release, foreigners
will respect us less. For us, who want to respect each other, whowant to
respect foreigners and want foreigners to respect us, it is good that the
Head of State encourages all citizens to look at us straight in the eye to
tell the truth. Tell the truth without hurting each other or making
concessions in a meaningful silence so we can be united these days for the
political and economic release of our country, which is needed and necessary
to move forward at a normal speed.

That's why I can't stand there with my arms crossed, hoping the World Bank
will make a move towards us, without moving towards international financial
institutions myself, together with my fellow citizens.

Earlier I said that the time had come for us, political actors form the
Opposition and the Government. Well the time has come also for members of the
civil society and those working in the civil service, to get to an agreement
as Haitians with Haitians, for the national compromise that the country needs
so much.

As I said, the President of the World Bank is ready. But there are other
conditions that need to be met by Haitians. So there I call to you for the
good understanding of my fellow citizens.

I had asked for 2 or 3 questions, and only one journalist gave me three
questions. I hope that others will give me only one question. It is not that
I don't want to be here with you, but we spent more time in airplanes than on
the ground. I will listen.

G.JEAN NUMA:

I work for Radio Metropole. I would like to quickly put my question in its
particular framework. You said that we should celebrate 2004 in peace and
unity. You even talked about haitianisation in 2004. On June 12, in the
National Palace, before Mr. Einaudi left, you had talked about a plan A and a
plan B to solve the crisis. Plan A was about a possible agreement with the
Opposition. It is clear for everybody today that we are not ready for an
agreement. We talk about street demonstrations and about you leaving. So plan
A has failed. My question is what is plan B for you?

The second question quickly, is about an international organization,
International Transparence, who placed Haiti among the most corrupted
countries in the world. We are in the 89th position on 102. What does that
tell you?

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

First, I want to say that I think it is good democracy when, among thousands
of Haitians who are for it, you hear a few voices, sometimes a few financed
voices who are against. This is good democratic health.

Secondly, plan A didn't fail. What is plan B about? It concerns you and me,
and I trust your intelligence because you know that 2 and 2 don't make 5. So
in this sense, as I said earlier, it will not be about saying we are the
winner or the loser. It is about seeing how we, Haitians, can work together
to agree on how to save Haiti. If there is a draft of agreement, it will not
bring victory to one and failure to the other.

Even though we don't speak clearly at first, the draft of agreement doesn't
exclude this road opened to Haitians so we can manage our differences. I can
have an agreement with you that makes human, economic and political growth
easier and that agreement doesn't need to be signed by both of us on a paper.
And if we both want to sign it, we can sign it. The question is knowing if we
are ready to walk together, to go beyond our differences, as civilized
people, towards the celebration of the bicentennial of our independence.

Concerning the question on corruption, I talked about respect, so I have to
respect human intelligence and respect you and others. If we respect Haiti,
why should we stand as people who are sick and think we are worse than
everybody else? Come on! Let's be serious! Corruption has no visa, no
passport. It is up to us, Haitians who are fighting corruption, to continue
to fight this corruption without making it turn into a millstone around the
Republic of Haiti's neck as if Negroes, Black people didn't feel good with
themselves. Me, I feel very good with myself, as a Black man, and I hope you
will not feel an inferiority complex. It is not because you are a Black man
that you must think that because somebody uses corruption, as if it was true,
to make people believe that the Republic is corrupted, that you must repeat
that without thinking of the politics hiding behind that. (APPLAUDS)

Let's be serious! For the last three years, there's been an economic
blockade. Despite our corruption inheritance given by a rational management,
we were able to go through such hard economic moments to continue to manage
what little financial resources we have. During my visit in the DGI, I
congratulated the Haitian people for its political maturity, for its
collective intelligence and I will continue to do so. If it would not have
been for the intelligence of an illiterate people who is not stupid, for its
political maturity, could we have managed these economic difficulties so
peacefully?

We saw what happened in California with just a few minutes without
electricity. Here, we try very hard just to get electricity. Many places
still don't have any electricity. When you drive in your nice car, you see
people, farmers, who welcome you in their home always with a smile. That's
the wealth we have here, at home, and we must protect it without letting them
use us as puppets to repeat everything they say as parrots. Let's be serious!

The last question now, since we are heading toward the end of this meeting.

FRANTZ LASERRE:

I work for the daily newspaper L'Union. Here is my question. Many observers
say this Summit was a failure. The name of the Summit was Sustainable
Development. What commitment did Northern countries make? We know that the
President of the United States, President George Bush, wasn't there, and the
United States is considered by many experts as the most polluting country in
the world. So what is their commitment in terms of public aid for
development? For France, President Chirak said 7% of their gross domestic
income. What do poor countries like Haiti, and other Southern countries come
out of such a Summit with? It is hypocritical or do we really get something
out of this? Thank you.

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

Thank you and I will try to conclude with that. It is not that I wouldn't
stay here with you, but with 7 hours time difference, I feel the strain of
the trip.

A lot of analysis in international media, many articles published in
newspapers talk about this Summit as a failure rather than a success. But
many Heads of State and analysts see the positive side of it alongside the
negative side. What do I see as the positive side?

Ten years ago, I was in Rio where I participated in the Summit. About 2,050
resolutions were taken then in Rio. 10 years later, instead of being
hypocrites all around the world and say all those resolutions were respected
North, South, East and West, the truth was told. And it's a good thing the
truth was told. That's what I consider as the positive side of this Summit.
Heads of State participated, many delegations, non-governmental organizations
also participated. And besides the criticism, the truth was also told which
is that all the resolutions or most of the resolutions taken in the Earth
Summit in Rio in 1992 were not respected.

I believe that, in a Summit like that, it is good that they say what hasn't
been done instead of lying and saying things have been accomplished to make
people happy.

Secondly, the Summit could have ended on a sadder note because of the ending
speech if it hadn't been for concessions. On the second day I was there, we
were able to get to a compromise, a consensus, on the differences between
European Union, Americans and Southern countries. For example: at the
Millenium Summit, we had talked about reducing in half the number of hungry
people in the world by 2015. Well at least, the will to do that was renewed
at this Summit. Now is it too early to say we can't do it? I believe it is
too early. The rather negative acknowledgement of this decade can stimulate
the Northern countries to respect the commitment they just took so that in 10
years, we have more positive results than those we looked at in Johannesburg.

Water is vital, so if Northern countries keep their promises, we will see an
improvement in the management of water so that, for example, we don't have so
many deaths in developing countries. One third of the deaths in developing
countries are related to the lack of drinking water.

So basically, if we are going to tell the truth about Haiti, as I told it
before - and you reacted with your applauds- you saw the same truth in this
Summit. It is better to tell the truth in respect than to take pride in
lying.

I would say this Summit was a Summit of truth rather than a Summit of bluff.
It is better to have a Summit of truth so we can all move forward, rather
than a Summit where Heads of State would be happy to hold hands and to be
proud while during the last decade, many commitments weren't respected. At
home, here, we are at the crossroads of the truth of the bicentennial of
independence. Let's stay there holding hands so that negritude, haitianitude,
can become before 2004 a light that shines for the world of Black people --
Negroes, as well as for the world of White people.

Thank you!

President Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Port-au-Prince